Day two without the NHL. Don't worry: the ladies have arrived.
Islanders bits n' things:
- The Islanders site previews all of the Olympic hockey teams and highlights the involved Isles.
- The official prospect round-up. [Islanders]
- Erik Johnson has a phone hearing today for slashing Frans Nielsen. [NHL], which broke Nielsen's hand. The real discipline will come in the afterlife.
- An interview with Matt Carkner, who joined the Long Island Blues hockey team for their Winter Classic. [Isles Blog]
- Good question from Eyes on Isles: why do we love the Islanders?
- Former Islander (and a bunch of other things) Janne Niinimaa announced his retirement yesterday. [NHL.com]
- And in a surprise twist no one saw coming, Mike Bossy scored the winning goal at Sunday's Skate with the Greats at Yankee Stadium.
- The lovely ladies of international hockey took center stage Monday and the Canadians and Americans did nothing to dissuade anyone from thinking they'll play for gold at some point. [SB Nation]
- (Men's) Team USA GM David Poile won't be joining the squad in Sochi as he's still recovering from taking a puck in the melon last week. Ray Shero will act in his stead. [On the Forecheck]
- Good guy David Backes is trying to save the dogs of Sochi and the world. [Puck Daddy]
- The big ice might be just the thing to get Ottawa's Erik Karlsson fully armed and operational again. [Silver Seven]
- Jewels from the Crown is going all-in for Team Slovenia and their boy Anze Kopitar. Here's all you need to know about the country's history in international competition.
- Gary Bettman on outdoor games, that big fat TV deal and Gene Simmons. Yes, really. [Sportsnet]
- Tyler Dellow delves very deeply into the weird season Taylor Hall is having. [mc79hockey]
- Icethetics has some early intelligence on possible NHL jersey changes for next season.
- Ben Scrivens' wife Jenny writes a guest post at The Royal Half about the trade that brought them to Edmonton. Not a parody. Actual Jenny.
- Down Goes Brown sums up the seasons for all 30 NHL teams so far and what to look for on the other side of the Olympics. Read it and catch up. You got nothing but time. [Grantland]
- Islanders News: Visnovsky out of Olympics; Parenteau on Island days; Bridgeport win
- Olympic Hockey TV Schedule: New York Islanders in Sochi
- Recap: Avalanche 5, Islanders 2 (EN x2): Scores can be Duch-ceiving, Isles DQ'd at Olympics
- Islanders vs. Avalanche: 5 Questions with Mile High Hockey
- Islanders News: Sound Tigers turn 1,000; Olympic hockey begins