Olympic teams are announced. Islanders won back-to-backs and have two days off. Don Cherry only works weekends. Enjoy the next couple of days of (possible) quiet. Try not to get frostbite.
- Recaps: LHH | New$day | Our man Quinn at IPB | Islanders | PPP | Globe and Mail
The Skinny from Eric Hornick.
- Evgeni Nabokov's injury is believed to be a quad strain and not as serious as originally thought. Could still miss two weeks. [New$day]
- Arthur Staple on what goalies could be available to the Islanders. [New$day]
- When you watch the Islanders take the ice at Barclays Center, you'll be able to get a haircut at the same time. Your move, Tattoo Lou. [NY Mag]
- I hope you didn't order that Philip-Michael Devos Sound Tigers jersey. The team released him from his PTO yesterday.
- Let's make teams from the snubs! Puck Daddy | Sporting News | Even Extra Skater
- Don't like your national team? Down Goes Brown suggests some trades between countries. [Grantland]
- Got your Finnish and Slovakian rosters right here. [USA Today]
- And the roster from the host nation of Russia. Guess who the one Edmonton Oiler on the team is. (Spoiler: you're probably wrong). [Puck Daddy]
- Is playing with Sidney Crosby so difficult that Chris Kunitz is the only man on Earth who can do it? Eric T investigates.
- Steve Yzerman had to tell Marty St. Louis we was off Team Canada's roster. St. Louis didn't take it too well. [Elliotte Friedman at CBC]
Around the NHL:
- Last night's scores. Flyers top Devils in OT, Jets shot down by Lightning
- As we monitor the Capitals three goalie circus, we turn to Becca from Japers Rink for the expert low-down on what's become a very strange situation.
- Winnipeg Free Press writer Gary Lawless wants Dustin Byfuglein off the Jets. Jets blogger Benjamin Wendorf thinks Lawless is a dope.
- On the Forecheck welcomes wayward Tennessee Titans fans to the world of the Nashville Predators.
- Marek Zidlicky: Driving Devils fans crazy since 2012. [In Lou We Trust]
- Injuries: Logan Couture is out a month with a hand injury, Montreal's Alex Galchenyuk is out for six weeks with a broken hand, and Brayden Schenn looks like he was in a knife fight.
- Gorgeous Australian actress Margot Robbie currently stars in the Martin Scorsese's The Wolf of Wall Street. She's also a huge fan of the New York Rangers, who must pick up these imported actors and give them free tickets and swag at JFK before they settle down in New York City. [Film.com - warning: much fanboyism ahead]
- Gratuitous Whalers reference. Yesterday was Mike Liut's birthday, so here's a retrospective from Third String Goalie.
"Hey, mom. Yeah. I'm on the Olympic team. Is dad there?"
- New York Islanders 5 (EN), Toronto Maple Leafs 3: Penalty killin' and Bernier givin'
- New York Islanders vs. Toronto Maple Leafs: Notes + [game thread]
- Olympic Hockey Rosters: Canada names John Tavares, Austria selects Thomas Vanek, Michael Grabner
- [Back-to-Back Gameday Bits] Going Away Party Over. Time to Hit the Road
- Evgeni Nabokov Injury: Anders Nilsson recalled as Nabby placed on IR