So the Islanders get back to it tonight, chasing that elusive and lofty "win at least half our games maybe" threshold. Some reads and such:
Islanders & The Farm
- Quite the ironic headline at Newsday: No rush for Josh Bailey in Islanders' lineup. Also has thoughts from Matt Donovan on his first stint.
- In this Arthur Staple bit on Andrew MacDonald, he also reports that Lubomir Visnovsky still hopes to come back this season, possibly getting another neurological test next week. As for MacDonald, Garth Snow offered no comment on if negotiations are happening. Writing may be on the wall.
- One more at Newsday, a look at the pre-Olympic schedule, a jam of games for the Isles that will break them barring a miracle run: "We have a ton of games coming up this month, there's a lot of points out there,'' Tavares said. "We just have to be more consistent with the way we approach games.''
- After the Carolina game, the Post read Jack Capuano as more pointed and angry with his players than normal.
- Isles prospect Ville Pokka won gold with Finland at the WJC. [LHH | Isles official] I sure hope they congratulate him, you know how that wounded Nino.
- Bridgeport dropped a shootout on Saturday [CT Post | BST]
- Michael Fornabaio with Sound Tigers trivia from 2013, with answers here.
- As you will probably see tonight, Valeri Nichushkin is a bit of a beast. Here's a 1-on-1 with him. [Voice of Russia]
- The Stars were walloped by the Red Wings though. [Defending Big D]
- Ben Bishop left the game with an injury last night. [NHL]
- Jeez, everything's going right for Anaheim. They scored with 1.3 seconds left in OT. [NHL Video]
- WJC: Canada didn't medal, thus there must be something wrong with Canada. [Buzzing the Net]
- Reviewing the final episode of 24/7. [Puck Daddy]
- Over at Islanders West, er, Edmonton, things are looking dire. Again. [Copper & Blue]
- That said, Ryan Smyth is not the problem.
Our own EDM (that's Eric David Morris, not Edmonton) delves deep into concussions at Undisclosed Injury, letting you know what you should expect the next time your star defenseman leaves the game with a head injury.
Leave your First Islanders Goal picks for tonight's game over here.