Staal Family Hurricanes blow into Nassau Coliseum tonight. But 22 tropical storms still can't equal the powerful wind power of one Brian Burke.
FIG picks for tonight can be filed here.
- Arthur Staple on Okposo's Olympic Omission and the Islanders recent run of good play. [New$day]
- Evgeni Nabokov is a leader in the locker room [New$day]
- Dee Karl on the "disrespected" Islanders. [Hockey Buzz]
- Ryan Strome and Calvin deHaan will attend next week's Islanders Booster Club meeting.
- Sound Tigers lost 3-1 to Milwaukee on Friday night. Recent re-addition Aaron Ness was the goal scorer. The two teams will play again on Saturday.
- Connecticut Post Sound Tigers writer Michael Fornabiao reveals the hidden secrets found in hockey warmups.
Bobby Ryan Blowout:
More has been written about Bobby Ryan in the last three days than in his entire career. In the latest episode, Team USA general manager David Poile tried to put out the fires that muckety-muck Brian Burke started with his dragon-like hot air by apologizing publicly to Ryan and to basically slap the onus on the writers - Scott Burnside and Kevin Allen - for printing supposedly off-the-record quotes on the record.
Just about everyone with a platform has chimed in on this one, so here's a cross section if you're interested: Sean Gentille of the Sporting News says the Ryan Affair teaches everyone valuable lessons, SI's Alan Muir puts the blame on Poile for not understanding what "full access" means, Ken Campbell says everyone needs to calm the hell down, Sportsnet's Mark Spector says the hockey world needs to let the writers write and makes his point mainly by talking about Mark Spector, and Laura of Puck Drunk Love and St. Louis Game Time says the hockey world is probably too far off the rails as it is. Unfortunately.
- Last night's NHL scores. The Rangers and Devils got rolled.
- Wine impresario, animal lover, grappler and occasional hockey player Zenon Konopka was picked up by the Sabres via waivers. [Die by the Blade]
- Katie Baker on the Winter Classic. [Grantland]
- Uh oh. Ilya Bryzgalov's personality is starting to catch the attention of Oilers coaches and management. If you had January 2 in the pool, you win. [Edmonton Sun]
- The Capitals give up a lot of goals after scoring their own, according to NBC Washington. Sorry, but that old news, dudes.
- Eyes on the Prize gives a detailed and extensive look at the selection process for Team Canada in Sochi. Really exemplary work. Features some guy named Dom talking Tavares.
- Maple Leafs brass is planning a statue outside Air Canada Centre that pays tribute to the team throughout the years. No room for jokes here.
- That Time You Fired New York Islanders Coach Jack Capuano
- [Bits] Kyle is a real American, fights for the rights of every man
- Recap - New York Islanders 3, Chicago Blackhawks 2 (OT): Non-Olympian Kyle Okposo stars on narrow North American ice
- New York Islanders vs. Chicago Blackhawks Preview: Snubs battle. Update: Matt Donovan recalled
- Islanders Gameday News: Aaron Ness to Bridgeport; Kyle Okposo not to Sochi