Saturday night in Philly. What could possibly happen?
FIG picks for tonight can be added here.
- The Islanders need to play better against the Metropolitan Division. They are one of the few teams in the NHL that can say that. [New$day]
- Yesterday, the Islanders loaned lovable long shot prospect Kirill Kabanov to MODO of the SEL
- We're getting together at Stout in NYC to watch the Islanders-Rangers Stadium Series game on the 29th..
- And the Islanders bought Thomas Vanek his own diner to get him into the Long Island swing of things. Not really.
- John Tavares might have to play on the wing for Team Canada at Sochi and that's fine by John Tavares. [NHL]
- No really. John Tavares might not play center in Sochi. It's OK guys. [Toronto Sun]
- The Sound Tigers lost 6-2 to Binghamton on Friday. Anders Lee and Mike Halmo scored, both on assists by Ryan Strome.
- The Islanders' ECHL affiliate the Stockton Thunder will play the Alaska Aces in the league's Heritage Weekend on February 7th and 8th. Here's what their jerseys will look like. I'm not a fan of the Thunder's. This fansot by reader FGS is a link to the municipal background on Stockton's new single-use look.
- Speaking of questionable jersey choices, if you ever, for some reason, wanted a custom-made John Tavares Islanders Fisherman jersey, boy are you in luck. Puck Daddy brings the news in it's latest edition of jersey fouls.
- Last night's NHL scores. Don't look now, but the Blue Jackets have won five in a row.
- Scary skate cut injury for Flyers' goalie prospect Anthony Stolarz (no video, still scary). [Yahoo.ca]
- Controversy! New Oilers goalie Ben Scrivens went bananas on Twitter, blasting a writer that posted a story disseminating tweets from Scrivens' wife Jenny that made it seem she was upset leaving Los Angeles for Edmonton. But there's way more to the story than that. Puck Daddy has the basics, Awful Announcing talks silly controversies, and Sportsnet's Mark Spector laments the critical world of Twitter (unless he's the one doing the critiquing).
- More Controversy! P.K. Subban is an exciting player who scores exciting goals excitedly. Some members of the Ottawa Senators took exception with how Subban scored his overtime goal on Thursday. Writing it out is so stupid, I can't stand it any more. I'll let Eyes on the Prize honco Andrew Berkshire do the honors.
- Sports Illustrated has started an NHL Fan Misery series. Let's guess where the Islanders end up. [Fanshot by mbkrug]
- The Jamaican Bobseld team might go to Sochi if they can get enough dough together. [SB Nation]
- And a look at each country's jersey for the Olympics from Stanley Cup of Chowder. The only one without a finalized design is Slovenia, probably because they've got to fit all those new players.
He's still hurt (and a wild card even when healthy), but it's been almost two years since one of the most amazing goaltending spectacles we're seen from an Islander - Evgeni Nabokov's 45 save masterpiece versus the Flyers.