The Islanders gave up a bunch of early goals and lost. True story. Four game winning streak and seven game road winning streak snapped. They're back at it tomorrow night in Tampa.
- Recaps: LHH | New$day | IPB |
- Or a six-second video recap, courtesy of Kevin at Point Blank.
- The Skinny from Eric Hornick.
- The basics of Travis Hamonic's upper body injury and an update on Lubomir Visnovsky from Arthur Staple. [New$day]
- And Staple will host an Islanders chat at Newsday.com today at 1 pm. I'm sure everyone will be in a fun and festive mood.
- A long read on Calvin de Haan's journey from Eyes on Isles.
- For those who didn't see it yesterday, Jonathan Willis at Bleacher Report offers an explanation of "How the Minnesota Wild Stole Nino Niederreiter from the New York Islanders." Many here would dispute that anyone "stole" anybody from anywhere. The story is less salacious than the title suggests, detailing a team getting one known commodity for another largely unknown one at the risk of making a big mistake. Why it's coming up now, is the true mystery. Perhaps Willis, a smart dude who usually writes about the Oilers, was tired of parsing through Edmonton's ashes. I can sympathize.
- Meanwhile in Bridgeport, Riley Wetmore and John Persson are nearing returns from injury and the Sound Tigers can use them. [CT Post]
Around the rink
- Last night's NHL scores. Devils win in Montreal as Jaromir Jagr scored goal No. 695, Leafs win in Boston, Lightning win at the Garden.
- The Panthers were awarded the 2015 NHL draft.
- And Buffalo will host the 2014 and 2015 CCM All American Prospects Game.
- Hey, Bob Murray. We wanted to talk to you about UFA goalie Jonas Hiller. "There's not a chance in hell that I'm moving Jonas Hiller." Oh. Okay. [ESPN]
- Ilya Kovalchuk is Russian for Matthew McConaughy. "Just keep livin' man" [Associated Press]
- Matt Moulson is Canadian for Matthew McConaughy. "Just keep livin' man. Whether it's for another team or this one." [Buffalo Hockey Beat]
- Hockeytown? No. Detroit is Cerealtown. [Puck Daddy]
- If you like #fancystats, the New Jersey Devils have a job for you. [Hockey Jobs]
- On Monday, Vancouver's Tom Sestito played one second of the Canucks game against the Kings. Literally one second. In that one second, he picked up a ri-damn-diculous 27 penalty minutes. [Puck Daddy]
- An entertaining pair of posts by Down Goes Brown at Grantland: Five NHL Trades You've Forgotten or, in my case, never knew about and the immediately indispensable NHL Dictionary. To wit:
Character Guy (n.) - in theory, a term used to describe a player who is a strong leader and who exudes a positive presence in the dressing room by displaying courage and resolve in the face of adversity. In reality, a term awarded exclusively to players who regularly agree to speak to the media.
Non-Hockey, Still Funny. From the SB Nations:
- Athletes of the world: Please wear your hats properly so ancient sportswriters can stereotype you much easier.
- And the creepiest baseball mascots. Some pants required. Mr. Red Legs is horrifying.
- Florida Panthers 4, New York Islanders 2: Isles' road streak and comeback magic ends
- New York Islanders vs. Florida Panthers: Tim Thomas faces his former playoff team
- Islanders News: Tavares on fire, de Haan beloved, strength of schedule
- Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist named NHL's third star of the week
- Islanders-Stars Comeback Video, Quotes: 'Tilting the Ice' and Calvin de Haan Being Lubo Visnovsky