The big NHL news today catapults rumors from last night into reality this morning: Brian Burke is back in a top position for an NHL club again, meaning media notepads shall runneth over once again with blustery quotes and Burkisms. That and other links below...
Bob Corkum on his new job with the Islanders: "I’m excited about the job. The Islanders are a family-oriented franchise like New Jersey was when I played for them, and I’m happy to be a part of it."
Here is the 31-player roster (and comment thread, if you like) for the Islanders rookie camp.
And Kevin from IPB also talks Isles in a fantasy context for thefakehockey.
Bovada's over/under on point totals shakes out like this for Metro teams:
- Penguins - 108.5
- Rangers - 98.5
- Caps - 93.5
- Flyers - 92.5
- Isles - 89.5
- Jackets - 85.5
- Canes - 84.5
Devils - 79.5
- So yes, anyway, Brian Burke is employed again, and Jay Feaster woke up to have a new boss. Coverage of the presser: Puck Daddy | TSN | SBN on the delicate but friendly new setup | SBN's Flames blog
- Also with the Flames, Calgary's long-shot 2009 third-rounder goes AWOL, making that draft a total wash.
- Early Twitter was kind of...dull. Twitter history of the NHL; who made the first Cindy Crosby joke on social media? - Yahoo! Sports
- Either Sean Avery is gay and coming out of the closet via social media -- so 2013! -- or he's trolling again. Regardless, apparently this is in response to gossip/tabloid media who spend a lot of time caring about such things. Now I have to ask Mrs. Lighthouse who Andy Cohen is.
- Underwood's Fisher was bit by a squirrel. DGB weighs in: Down Goes Brown: Other cases of NHLers getting attacked by animals
- The Preds are cool with the whole Perds thing. Swift PR there.
- Here are the salaries for the top NHL league office execs. So, I mean, I think I could handle being Bettman for a year.
- The Bruins are doing their own behind-the-scenes regular feature thing. It's all the rage.
- On shaking a familiar rap: Player X doesn't like Edmonton. So what? | OilersNation