And just like that, the calendar turned to September with training camp buzz in sight:
- Arthur Staple with some John Tavares news, some expected and some not: He will be named captain next week, but he will be three teeth lighter.
- Multiple reports have the Isles doing the first day of training camp at the arena in Brooklyn on Sept. 12. Sorry, closed to the public.
- Also: Christopher Botta reports capacity for the Brooklyn preseason game will be 13,000, though plans are to have 15,000 full-view seats by 2015.
- But the boys are already skating together at Iceworks, in those "informal" workouts before the real deal begins. You got your Boulton and Carkner here, your Nielsen, Nelson, Lee and Regin there.
- PGI answers questions for the Isles season preview for HockeyWorldBlog: "Contrary to popular belief, Tavares is far from the only weapon the Islanders have up front."
- Well, finally you have it: 2013-14 NHL Preview: The Most Comprehensive Metropolitan Division Preview Ever | NBC4 Washington
- Everyone is previewing the Metro! Here is Isles Nation.
- An Islanders fan recalls his experience seeing Teemu Selanne at the Coliseum way back when.
- Don't troll: Self-Defense Against The Trolls: A Guide For New York Islanders Fans - Eyes On Isles
- Stanley Cup of Chowder does a series on why they hate all 29 teams, but they kind of mail in the details (and the outrage) about the Islanders. Can't recommend it but PGI left a funny comment pointing to real reasons to hate our Isles.
- The answer is coaching: Where Are They Now? Shawn Bates | The Checking Line
- The burning question: Are The New York Islanders Still A Playoff Team? | The Checking Line
In honor of training camp just around the corner, here is what Matt Martin looked like at camp five years ago. Such a pup.