The New York Islanders preseason schedule resumes tonight with a rematch against the Nashville Predators, and the only Nassau Coliseum game on the preseason schedule. Lines and such will probably be out this morning [UPDATE: They're now posted below the Isles links], but in the meantime here are some more readings to chew and do what you wish:
- I swear yesterday I wasn't peeking at Arthur Staple's notes nor eavesdrop. Here is his Newsday story on Griffin Reinhart's chase for a roster spot.
- The official site talks to Brock Nelson and Peter Regin about their line this week with Pierre-March Bouchard. [Islanders official]
- Ken Daneyko on the Isles on NHL Live. [Video] (And we didn't link it earlier this week, but they also talked to Josh Bailey)
- Also video: Chris Bruton talks about Chris Bruton, and Thomas Hickey talks about facing him in the AHL. [Islanders video]
- In praise of youth, depth and roster competition [The Checking Line - Islanders]
- Yet another mixed review of the Barclays experience, except this one is 2000+ words with a few historical errors odd very personal offenses like the use of "Seven Nation Army" because apparently the NBA Heat also use that (along with tons, and tons, and tons of other sports teams around the world). [NY Observer]
- Meanwhile, Pro Hockey Talk spends 280 words on why Evgeni Nabokov is "under pressure."
- LHHer Garik16 bets his signature on Metro standings predictions.
- Normally the worst thing I can imagine is hearing people talk about their fantasy teams, but in this case an LHH league has a bunch of LHH regulars and you ccan lurk on their trash talk and point and mock at their rosters here [link now fixed].
According to Arthur Staple of Newsday, here is how the lineup and combos look for tonight's preseason game against the Predators:
#Isles lineup tonight vs. Preds: Moulson-Tavares-Bailey, Grabner-Nielsen-Lee, Nelson-Regin-Bouchard, Martin-Cizikas-McDonald...— Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday) September 27, 2013
#Isles D/G tonight: Hickey-Visnovsky, MacDonald-Hamonic, Strait-Donovan. Nabokov, Poulin in goal.— Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday) September 27, 2013
So a very close-to-opening night lineup, as well as an opportunity for prospect watchers to yearn for Ryan Strome. Brock Nelson has appeared to be ahead of Strome (and he's already done a year of AHL internship), while Anders Lee may be just a placeholder for Kyle Okposo, who is day-to-day with his eye injury.
- A look at tonight's opponent: Forging a new identity through grit! [Sunbelt Hockey]
- James Mirtle explores some new forgiving clauses in the CBA, predicting cap-crunched teams will be able to legally pull shenanigans when rosters are due on Monday. [Globe and Mail]
- Great profile of Bill Daly by Chris Botta. It's interesting how Daly has earned respect, in part through sincerity. [Sports Business Journal]
- The Oilers failure to address their center position is leaving them exposed. [Cult of Hockey - link now fixed]
- Speaking of the Oil, what if Justin Schultz demands to be paid like a star? [Copper & Blue]
- Tim Thomas, Florida Panther.
- NHL coaches are understandably pissed to see Ron Rolston fined for the immaculately conceived penalty of "player selection."
- We dinged Stanley Cup of Chowder when they turned their hate series on the Isles, so only fair we praise them when they rip on the Rangers.
- It sounds like Nino Niederreiter will survive a three-way prospect battle between him, Michael Granlund and Jason Zucker in Minnesota. [Star-Tribune]
- Kind of funny to hear Steve Mason talk about the Flyers goaltending situation. (He gave up three goals on 24 shots last night in a 4-1 loss.)
- Did Cody Franson get what he wanted? [Puck Daddy]
- On goonery, because it wouldn't be hockey season without debates about goonery: Did Don Cherry have a point or was he just being Cherry? | On the Evolution of Goon Culture
We'll have plenty more today. It seems the real season is nearing, and this will be a busy final preseason weekend.