And then there were 25.
After a busy weekend and an off day Monday, New York Islanders training camp resumed today. They did not make cuts exactly, but they did break into two groups, the first of which looks a lot like the default NHL roster plus NHL hopefuls trying to force their way in.
Here is who is skating at the COliseum in what the Isles tweeted as Group 1, including another shuffle at right wing:
Moulson - Tavares - Bailey
Grabner - Nielsen - Okposo
Nelson - Regin - Bouchard
Martin - Cizikas - McDonald
Boulton - Strome - Sundstrom
MacDonald - Hamonic
Hickey - Visnovsky
Donovan - Strait
Reinhart - Carkner
(Timely reminder: All subject to change. All subject to change. All subject to change. Preseason.)
Notable remainders: Ryan Strome, Brock Nelson, Johan Sundstrom -- the three most impressive forward prospects in camp -- plus Griffin Reinhart, who many expect will get the junior nine-game audition the way things are going.
That's 25 bodies. They need to pare to 23 for the season-opening roster. Cal Clutterbuck makes 26, but he is likely bound for IR with his leg laceration, so barring injury there is room for Reinhart and a forward to each grab a spot on the opening roster.
Here's how Group 2 is lining up this morning at IceWorks, per the Islanders:
More from Lighthouse Hockey:
- Isles/NHL News: Donovan on AMac; Sather on Stepan; NHL Suspensions
- Be the GM: Pick your New York Islanders NHL and AHL camps
- Fights in Toronto, Notes from Islanders in Nashville
- Preseason: Islanders Shut Out 2-0 by Predators, Camp to Divide in NHL/AHL Groups
- New Jersey Devils 3, New York Islanders 0 in Brooklyn: Photos/Observations/Recap