You know hockey's back when they're writing about the Islanders across the continent. Or, at least, in the locales where the Isles sprinkle their split squads.
- Fun series looking at the best young systems in the NHL: Where do the Isles rate? They have some strong competition.
- Musing on: Five Questions for the Preseason: New York Islanders
- Recaps from last night's split-squad preseason games from LHH plus the Isles posts on Calgary and Regina. More thoughts here from NYI FYI. Point Blank has two GIFs for your pleasure, including Clutterbuck's upside down hit by Wideman.
- Out West, AP out of Regina focused on Sean Monohan's big showing (two goals) | The Calgary Herald caught up with Thomas Hickey, who said a key was when he concentrated on being an NHL player rather than on making the Kings roster | The Star Phoenix does the Tavares treatment.
- Staple says Cal Clutterbuck will be evaluated tonight. He notes the hit from Wideman, but Clutterbuck stayed in the game after that and other reports suggested it might have been a cut on a later hit.
- Dressing Matt Martin up again.
- Using John Keats to describe the enjoyment of hockey.
- Um, uh, well: Joel Rechlicz, shootout maestro.
- In Minnesota: "Nino Niederreiter and Mikael Granlund looked phenomenal, especially together."
"I just think, the way the game is now, you’ve got to have transition in all three pairs," he said. "I don’t think you can play the game and play with a lock-down pair anymore. I don’t think you can play like that. I’m becoming more and more convinced that every pair needs to have someone who can transition, with or without the puck. That gives us balance."
- That last article also has Hitchcock talking about ex-Isle Keith Aucoin, by the way.
- Backhand Shelf on life for a player (David Perron) after a trade. Think of the dogs.
- The 2013-14 San Jose Sharks, in infographic form.
- John Tortorella discusses trying to change the team culture in Vancouver. (But not the Sedins. He digs them.)
- Great read on Bryan Murray's career, with several details you may not know (or may have forgotten).
- mc79hockey on the nature of bridge contracts and the decisions they pose for players.
- At Grantland, Down Goes Brown presents new season resolutions for fans.
- I can't do this idea justice, so just read their plan: Introducing the first annual #HabsTwitterDraft - Eyes On The Prize