The Islanders brass will redivide the troops today and prep them as they travel to Alberta for split-squad preseason games against the Flames on Tuesday. Here is some reading from over the weekend with the Isles and around the NHL:
- Newsday does an Okposo-Bailey visit. Kyle Okposo on what clicked for him last season: "I was working hard, but maybe I wasn't working as smart as I could have." Josh Bailey on sticking with that Okposo-Nielsen line so far: "It feels good to still be with those guys."
- Also in Newsday if you missed it: On the three new guys | On Evgeni Nabokov, cut-up and voice of reason
- From us: Isles sound done talking about last season's playoffs | Looking through Jack Capuano's quotes on Matt Donovan and what thought goes into today's groupings. | Who better to preview the Central than a chiropractor?
- Great USA Today piece on Matt Moulson, from his cuts as a youngster to struggling with LA to the time Kyle Okposo was concussed and allowed Moulson to get an opportunity.
- Islanders Point Blank has Peter Regin discussing battling back from his multiple shoulder surgeries.
- John Tavares set for even bigger breakout year? [The Checking Line]
- The Flyers continue to use LTIR to avoid the cap penalties from their foolish ways, with Chris Pronger obviously working for management despite not "retiring" (because that would stick them with his cap hit as a 35+ contract).
- The NHL has some silly new NFL-like restrictions on player unis and such (more on that later), including not allowing them to tuck their jerseys. Alex Ovechkin (who tucks) says it's stupid, and Adam Oates agrees (and, having played with Brett Hull, knows well how to pamper a diva star).
- Dustin Penner and his old linemates would love to recapture their old 2007 magic, back when Ryan Getzlaf had hair. (Not sure what Getzlaf's barber makes of Penner though.)
- Tim Thomas' agent quit agency life to join management in Columbus, but his new agent says Columbus is not a destination for the Freedom Of Facebook advocate. UPDATE: Sounds like he'll be accepting the Florida PTO offer after all.
- Fun: 14 other drills you can expect out of John Tortorella’s first Canucks training camp
- Jared Cowan has signed for four years, bringing the RFA angst down to just Derek Stepan and Cody Franson.
- Speaking of which, the Rangers have moved to the "worry that it will hurt the player's season" phase of their talking points on Stepan.
- A pivotal year for Predators defenseman Ryan Ellis, drafted one slot ahead of Calvin de Haan in 2009.
- Morgan Rielly, drafted one slot behind Griffin Reinhart in 2012, is pushing for an NHL job in Leafs camp.
- Teuvo Teravainen, selected 18th overall by Chicago in 2012, impressed in camp but is probably going to be assigned back to Finland this season.
- The Canadiens drafted goalie Zachary Fucale 36th overall this summer, then signed him to an entry level contract already. The slide rule (assuming he stays in juniors) will lower his cap hit slightly.
- The NHL isn't ready for video review of high-sticking penalties that for some strange reason involve a double-minor if there's blood.