Yet the league pulled the media event off to get decent coverage. That's how desperate we are for hockey talk in summer's dog days. Naturally the big media event was colored by more news of Devils instability.
Stadium Series Coverage:
- Newsday with enough quotes from the league and Tavares.
- More from the official Isles site and from nhl.com
- Video of Bettman talking Bettman-speak. Full video of the awkward speech-making here.
- Shots of the players at the media event, which almost cries out for a "C" for Tavares
- Brian Compton was there to talk Stadium Series and all that, but got a little from Tavares on the Pens playoff series.
Video: EJ Hradek with Tavares on the event, on playing outdoor hockey, etc.:
More video, with Matt Moulson on the whole deal. Speaking of whom, Arthur Staple asked about any contract extension talks and Moulson said it's not on his radar right now. "That's what I pay my agent for" is a pretty sweet answer going forward.
That Devils thing:
- So, yeah, Forbes says the Devils are broke and can't even front the money to book other acts at their arena so the league may take them over.
- Or maybe it's just their owner who is in money trouble (again) and the team has suitors who could buy (and save) the team any day now...
- ...so the league says Forbes has it all wrong, man, but the constant Devils ownership drama has an ugly Coyotes feel to it.
Here and Elsewhere:
- Michael Fornabaio caught up with Scott Pellerin for a few words on the Sound Tigers' signings.
- Coliseum Bidders Spend Millions On Lobbying, Receive Breaks | Islanders Point Blank
- Rick Jeanneret, a classic voice to some and a noisy homer to others, will announce the Sabres for three more seasons before retiring.
- What can the Oilers expect from Dallas Eakins?
- Learn you some more: Fancy Stat Summer School - Quality Starts - Eyes On The Prize
- Good stuff here, though mostly similar ideas that you'll see pop up 'round LHH whenever the topic comes up: How we'd fix the NHL - Grantland
Last word goes to the FIGmeister: