Some mostly Islanders-related reading and discussion fodder for your Monday, starting with prospect talk.
OHL "enthusiast" Brock Otten's team-by-team series lands on the Islanders' NHL prospects, with talk of Ryan Strome, Andrey Pedan, Jesse Graham, Adam Pelech and the just-(re)drafted Alan Quine. Descriptions of their roles and strengths with their OHL squads (including more talk of Strome's defensive improvement). follow. Obviously three of them have graduated to the pros, but there are things to look for when you get a chance to see them this year.
Sticking with the prospects, Ville Pokka scored yesterday in Finland's rally past the U.S. in WJC evaluation camp exhibitions.
- I just assume Matt Moulson has some Larry Bird-Michael Jordan McDonald's commercial-style circus shots from the balcony here. Maybe has a neighbor crosscheck him in the back with a weed whacker while he's at it.
- Newsday: Brian Strait on expectations, and on losing Mark Streit: "I think there's going to be some more people around here watching us with a close eye now that we've kind of made a name for ourselves." [...] "Obviously when you lose your captain it's a big piece of the puzzle that's missing," Strait said. "I think a lot of the chemistry is going to be there still."
- THN with Cal Clutterbuck on the golf course (and a big puma hat): "I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to the shorter travel [in the East]."
- Panther Parkway on contracts: "Considering most top-tier players are now making north of $8 million a season, Tavares’ annual $5.5 million cap hit through the 2017-2018 season is possibly the best contract in the entire NHL." At least 26th-best.
- Dee Karl: Imagining a body-clanging "CCM" line of Cizikas, Clutterbuck and Martin.
- Intern for the Isles' sponsorship unit. Then send us free shwag. (More hockey internship openings here.)
- Not Isles, but more Northwest fodder: The owners of the Portland Trail Blazers (That's NBA.) (That's basketball.) were apparently in on the chase to be the Coyotes' parachute.
- Finally, more from Strait (and his stubbornly clean-shaven face) in his sit-down with the Isles official site, talking about the playoff series against his old team and what it was like to be claimed on waivers and immediately put into the lineup: