Are these the dog days of August? Yes. Does that mean you can stop reading about hockey? No.
- Next (Next, Next) One Connor McDavid and Ryan Strome's younger brother Dylan hope to make sweet music for the Erie Otters.
- Chatted up in comments the other day: Travis Hamonic, Karl Alzner among NHL's best contracts signed in summer 2013 | Home Ice - SI.com
- More on the Coliseum deal, as Newsday goes deep on the "how it was won" story with Charles Wang's ex-Lighthouse partner sounding like a stalking horse: "Part of my rationale in getting involved initially and engaging MSG to be active bidders was to ensure that there was a competitive process," said Rechler, who heads RXR Realty. "My primary goal was accomplished."
- Someone says Jose Theodore is close to signing with Boston, but Theodore's agent says nuh uh.
- Dave Nonis hopes to sign his two key remaining RFAs, though fitting Kadri and Franson in looks daunting.
- Questions facing the Panthers as they leave the cozy confines of the late Southeast Division.
- Copper & Blue's annual "Do power forwards exist outside the laboratory?" post.
- Flames Nation looks at some recent rebuild successes: "The most significant note on the Penguins’ draft history is winning the lottery to select Sidney Crosby in 2005. This will become a common theme to three of the four teams here."
- Markham deputy mayor Jack Heath was for building an arena to steal an NHL team before he was against it. Doesn't he know the Rangers might need a home in 10 years?
- Finally, a bit of fun: How well do you know your NHLer hometowns?
Another great one from YouTube poster jsmilla, this when Patrick Flatley leveled Barry Beck before Brent Sutter ties the game back in 1984:
Song of the Day
Suggested by Bleuchz for thematic reasons: