Those pictures of the Stadium Series presser with the Rangers and Devils captains flanking John Tavares with an empty spot on his chest where an A usually is kind of symbolized what's to come: John Tavares isn't officially captain yet, but he's the franchise player and the old captain is gone so you just know in time...
Staple in Newsday: "Nothing has been announced, but those around the Isles have given every indication" that Tavares will be named captain. Evgeni Nabokov, "who became tight with Tavares last season," says he's ready. Good stuff in there from Garth Snow and from Kyle Okposo, who turned to Tavares for insight on offseason workouts.
About 200 hockey fans got to watch Sidney Crosby, John Tavares and some more of the world’s elite players strut their stuff during some off-season training in Halifax midday Thursday. Crosby and the others all work with elite trainer Andy O’Brien, according to Gaetan Tremblay, Crosby’s summertime conditioning coach.
Tremblay blames word-of-mouth spread by social media for the crowds that appeared.
Dee Karl talks to Cal Clutterbuck and describes the scene at his autograph signing.
Tavares throws a first pitch at Yankee Stadium, where they previewed winter games with "your" New York Rangers:
- Ottawa: The Daniel Alfredsson wounds aren't going away yet, but he'll do a press conference soon. The Sens will also finally resolve their dispute with Dany [sic] Heatley over the bonus money he got on the big contract he signed before demanding to be traded.
- Why one man who works for Lubo's old KHL team loves the Czech Extraliga
- Fear the Fin: Cup or bust for the Sharks this year.
- Copper & Blue: The Oilers at even strength are just the worst.
- Cannon: Jody Shelley Retires, Returns to Blue Jackets
- Five for Howling: The Coyotes sure do have a lotta defensemen. In Raising Arizona terms, I figure they have more than they can handle.
- On the day nhl.com profiles Minnesota's offseason, they list seven NHLers who were traded too soon.
Way back, way back: HNIC Promo from 1967 with excellent sound effects: