It's July 29, do you know where your hockey news are? Eh, at least we aren't talking about lockouts and "make whole" this summer.
- This isn't Islanders- or even hockey-related, but with Barclays taking over business operations it's another peek at the likely approach: Forbes - Yormark on Nets as 'Lifestyle Brand' | More commentary from NetsDaily
- OilersNation wonders where Jesse Joensuu fits in Edmonton, with some added quotes from Doug Weight.
- Angst, Part I: LeafsNation frets over a possible Franson trade. "The Leafs went from having the second most cap space in the NHL to crisis mode in three weeks. That must be some sort of record, which surely comes with a trophy that resembles Paul Holmgren."
- Angst, Part II: Last week's Roberto Luongo drama escalated when it was announced (after GM Mike Gillis told fans things would be fine) the goalie had switched agents. He doesn't have a contract to negotiate, so what other agent services is he looking for? Does it mean he's still trying to find a way out? Does he really have any leverage? His fired agent sympathizes, and blames the team's handling of the goalie.
- Angst, Part III: The Jets have signed another RFA with Blake Wheeler getting six years and $33.6 million. But is all of this just keeping together the Atlanta Thrashers Rick Dudley left them?
- Every time Pierre McGuire underlines one of his on-air statements with "I coached a long time in this league," I fondly recall his miserable and brief tenure as Whalers head coach. Here is a classic and damning archived post-mortem of that time, marked by an obsession with "outcoaching" opponents (h/t @DaveLozo).
- THN's Ken Campbell says the NHL is ripe for 32 teams. No one has ever thought of that before.
Martin St. Louis hopes not to be Olympic snubbed again.
Finally, retro video after Keith started a Bourne retrospective in comments. His view of Colin Campbell as a player seems to jibe with fans' views of Colin Campbell as a league executive:
1980, Campbell as an Oiler (Edmonton claimed him in the expansion draft)
1982, Campbell as a Canuck (Vancouver claimed him in the waiver draft)
Bonus appearance by Jim Nill, in the news this summer as the Stars' new GM.
Then there was this beauty from 1983, remembered fondly in yesterday's comments: