Yes, it's a Saturday bits post. There were a few stories I came across on Friday that I thought would be old news by next week.
ISLANDERS NEWS (kinda, I guess...)
- Dude, some scumbag smashed Thomas Hickey's car window. What the hell?
Someone broke into my car but didn't take my golf clubs/hockeysticks..guess they've seen me golf and shoot before.. pic.twitter.com/nIUOza6SrP— Thomas Hickey (@thomas_hickey14) July 26, 2013
- Sports Illustrated's Alan Muir investigated the curious cases of Ilya Bryzgalov and Tim Thomas, two once sought-after netminders still looking for work. Muir's conclusions: Thomas waits until some other goalie gets hurt and a team (like the Islanders or Panthers) gets desperate, while Bryzgalov just waits.
- Blake Wheeler remains a Winnipeg Jet at six years and $33.6 million bones ($5.6 AAV) [Arctic Ice Hockey
- Achondroplasiaphobics can relax: Fun-Sized free agent Nathan Gerbe is taking his talents to the Hurricanes. [NHL.com]
- Rangers grinder Dominic Moore hosted a ping pong tournament last week to raise funds for concussion research. A surprise guest at this year's gathering: one Gary Bettman. [Sportsnet]
- Minnesota goalie Josh Harding, who was diagnosed with MS last season, has announced the formation of his Harding's Hope organization to raise awareness and funds to fight the disease.
- Surprise! ESPN's Sportscenter spends very little of its time discussing the NHL. A little over two percent of its time, to be exact. And 56.6 percent of that time is dedicated to the one team - the Pittsburgh Penguins. [Deadspin]
No video today. Go outside.