It's Friday. I'm finally going to see Pacific Rim tomorrow. It's about a road trip from San Jose to Anaheim, right?
ISLANDERS/WEIGHT AND GUERIN LINKS:
- The Islanders site rolls out the red carpet for new U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame inductee Doug Weight, talking up his fondest memories of playing for the Stars and Stripes and posting a photo gallery of Weight in international play.
- Both Weight and fellow inductee (and fellow former Islanders captain) Bill Guerin were part of the influential team USA that won the 1996 World Cup of Hockey. [NHL.com]
- Widely reported yesterday; Still confusing today: the Leafs gave a new five-year contract to GM Dave Nonis who already had three years left on his current deal. So, basically, it's a two year extension. [PPP]
- The Blues signed young goalie Jake Allen to a two-year contract on Thursday. Interestingly, the first year is a two-way deal and the second is a one-way. That gives GM Doug Armstrong some flexibility in dealing with a three-headed goalie monster that we around here know works like magic. You should probably put that Jaroslav Halak Islanders jersey order on hold for now. [SBN Mothership]
- The Sun-Times is reporting that the Blackhawks are on the verge of extending the contract of coach Joel Quenneville, a.k.a. the man with more rings than Ditka and every Cubs manager in the last 100 years combined
- Thomas Vanek made some interesting comments about the state of the Sabres on a Minnesota radio show recently, and Andy Boron of Die By The Blade talks Buffalo fans off the ledge.
- New York Congressman Anthony Weiner who, under the nom de douche "Carlos Danger," just can't seem to stop himself from sending pictures of his "Anthony Weiner" to girls that aren't his wife, has been known to play goalie in local rec leagues around the five boroughs. If you end up playing against Weiner/Danger, here's a word of advice: don't give him your cell phone number. [Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy]
Two Americans. Two Islanders Captains. Two U.S. Hockey Hall of Famers. Who gets to use the shield?