How the Isles can do it? Well, exploiting Fleury enough to win games but not so much that they see Vokoun would help.
>>Some Internet Persona, before Game 1
Sorry for quoting myself there and pulling an "as I said" moment, but I thought it was true then and I feared it ever since: The Islanders needed to take advantage of Marc-Andre Fleury to win, and they have, though Game 3 was a missed opportunity, and now they don't have Marc-Andre Fleury to kick around anymore.
The Islanders have now officially exploited Fleury so much that they will see Tomas Vokoun, yet they needed every one of those goals. (Unless Casey Cizikas' was the last straw?)
We'll see what form Vokoun is in, but he can't be worse than Fleury, at a historic low among current playoff goalies. Vokoun was great against the Isles in 2013, not so much in 2011 and 2012 (small sample alert on all) but it's a good bet the Islanders will start the weaker goalie for Game 5 in Pittsburgh.
That's for tomorrow though. Here is more fodder from Game 4 and the interim:
- The Skinny overview, with all sorts of fun trivia and history.
- Newsday on Steve Sterling's influence on both Jack Capuano and Dan Bylsma
- Thursday Gatherings: NYC at Common Ground, Ave. A between 12th and 13th; Another Brooklyn watch party at O'Keefe's
- Radio: Here's John Tavares today as a guest of Mike Francesa, who stayed awake.
- And here Tavares was on "The Crossover"
- NYHJ on physicality by the Isles
- NYIblog on the loss of Andrew MacDonald
- Puck Daddy on Penguins behaving badly (Letang, Morrow)
- The Sporting News on this being a different Islanders team
- The Post recap with a nice Coliseum-loving lede
- The Times calls the Isles feisty, "putting up a fight" (it's tied, right?)
- Newsday's version
- More from IPB | And a video that captured the post-game chants.
- So this is weird: ESPN The Regular covering the Isles [video]
- Pittsburgh coverage: Clean up the defense | Bench Fleury | No really, it's time for Vokoun
- This timeline has lots of funny #Pensfans quotes|
- The Patch covers the Pens-car-smashing thing, which raised money for charity.
- Also from before the game, Puck Daddy on the Coliseum atmosphere.
- Last night in Ottawa reminded me of something: Again, I ask why was Keith Aucoin's goal against Ottawa overturned?