You know what I forgot about the playoffs as a fan? How the storylines and results from each game invade your head in the intervening hours and days between games.
I have a Saturday morning pick-up game with the same group of guys who have played together for 10-20 years, and last night's Islanders performance was the dominant topic today. Playoffs.
Lots more coverage of Game 2 below, and a few things starting to trickle in as advance for Game 3, which -- don't forget -- is a noon start on Sunday. I've noticed in print and on air how many observers thought "the Islanders were outplaying them, even when the score was 3-1." So it will be interesting to see how teams adjust Sunday.
- Newsday: Isles rally | Something something Crosby | Isles split up John Tavares and Matt Moulson
- Post recap | New York Daily News
- The Skinny: First playoff win while allowing 3 or more since 2002
- USA Today: "You saw a different team tonight," Capuano said. Yes, "battle level" got its moment in the sun.
- Isles blogs: KQ at IPB is 1-0 in the playoffs | NY Hockey Journal | EOI: In defense of Capuano (and this was before Game 2)
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (which has some great hockey reporters, by the way): On Okposo's fight | Crosby Crosby Crosby | "It could have been 6-3, so much better were the Islanders" | Notebook on Jokinen's adaptive roles, and Brian Strait on Boston
- Pittsburgh Trib: Sloppy defense, carelessness with puck plague Penguins | Islanders even series the hard way | Islanders score late to dump Pens, 4-3
- Pens official site: Analysis: Islanders Just Better in Game 2
- NHL.com: Lots of talk of "puck" and "pluck" in that one.
- Sporting News: Penguins' issues come back to haunt them
- NHL: Penguins sure they can bounce back after Game 2 loss
- ACCESS TO SUNDAY'S GAME: The Isles have official info at their site on traffic around Sunday's marathon, and Kevin at IPB has a good overview of how to get there.
- ALSO: Anybody heading to tomorrow's game from the NYC area (or through it) should check for road closures because of the Five Boro Bike Tour [PDF file].
- TAILGATING: Check this FanPost for details from LHH members. It sounds like there will be many a tailgate on Sunday.
You ready for Sunday?
Nassau Coliseum all towel'd up ahead of Game 3 tomorrow - twitter.com/Sean_Leahy/sta…— Sean Leahy (@Sean_Leahy) May 4, 2013
By the way, from that first Gazette link, your captain John Tavares, on Okposo fighting:
"Kyle just stepped up at a good time. As a teammate, any time you see someone sacrifice like that this time of the year, it goes a long way."
And do you want cupcakes? Here:
The NHL and NBC Sports have partnered with Crumbs Bake Shop to celebrate the 2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Crumbs has created cupcakes featuring all 16 of this year's playoff clubs, including the Islanders!The Stanley Cup(cakes) will be available at Crumbs locations across the country, including all three Long Island and NYC locations in Greenvale, Huntington, and Woodbury.
- If you missed this at Puck Daddy: David Volek
- Nino: Swiss stun home side, 3-2
- SBD: NHL Team Owners Contributed More Than $3M During The '12 Election Cycle
- Skate for Boston? Yes. Skate for Boston: #SkateForBoston
Note: Go ahead and use this as Saturday's general playoff watching discussion thread too.