The Islanders woke up today still in eighth place by two points after New Jersey lost a shootout to Buffalo Sunday. The Isles are actually tied on points with the Rangers, who are seventh thanks to a game in hand. The Rangers play in Toronto tonight, while the Canes play in Boston.
They got a well-deserved day off Sunday, which you know Evgeni Nabokov was looking forward to if you watched his latest post-game banter with Stan Fischler. Back at it today in prep for Tuesday's "they're all big now" meeting with the Flyers.
UPDATE: Interesting bit at IPB about the Islanders potentially getting out of their lease and moving to Brooklyn one year early (so, for 2014-15).
Lots of stuff from Bridgeport over the weekend:
- The Sound TIgers beat the Phantoms 4-1 Sunday, with David Ullstrom scoring in the first minute and getting the first star off of two goals and an assist. Brock Nelson scored his fourth goal in three games to lead the team with 50 points. Rick DiPietro made 34 saves.
- More on that game in the Soundin' Off blog, including Scott Pellerin on how Ty Wishart and Matt Donovan have grown together, and on Wishart fighting yesterday after a hit on Ryan Strome. In the Post, Fornabaio reports on the team's approach and its longshot playoff hopes four points (and multiple teams) back with six games left.
- Matt Donovan is up to 41 points and +18 on the season, by the way.
- In Sunday's game, a scary moment when the game was stopped and Eric Wellwood helped off with what they thought was a cut caused by his own skate. [Graphic evidence from Danny Syvret here, not for sensitive stomachs.] He went into surgery and may need more. A little from Terry Murray here.
- Prior to Sunday, the Sound Tigers were ticked by inconsistent officiating in their loss to the Whale.
Islanders and around the NHL:
- Newsday on the Isles' confidence and "it's different this year" feeling during their playoff push. They've allowed 13 goals during this 6-1-1 stretch.
- Shots from the Isles Skate with the Greats event.
- In case you missed them, the official site's quotes from Scott Mayfield upon his signing, and the Skinny from the win over Tampa Bay.
- You probably heard the no-surprise news that the NHL is having the next Winter Classic with the same teams and location that was canceled this season -- Detroit and Toronto, with retro uniforms here. But the Fourth Period reports there could be as many as four or even five outdoor games next year, including L.A., New York and Canaada. No doubt the Isles are involved...right?
- I always thought Butch Goring had a helmet for radio. His weekly show begins today.
- Any day in any of the last four-plus years: "Gary Bettman says the NHL is committed to keeping the Coyotes in Phoenix."
- Crazy save by Scott Clemmensen last night, as he proved that any goalie can steal a game on any given night.
- Meanwhile, Alex Ovechkin continued his five-goal weekend as Ben Bishop did not look sharp in back-to-back starts.
- Chris Stewart has rebounded in a big way this year. Was his off year last season due to a food allergy?
As always, feel free to add other links and reads in comments or via FanShots.