For optimistic Islanders fans, a key to how this team would return the playoffs was with the help of the prospects the team was finally accumulating -- and hanging on to -- after GM Garth Snow reset course in 2008. Some of the most promising prospects still haven't even played an NHL game yet (Ryan Strome, Brock Nelson), but the team's depth is sprinkled with a few key homegrown players.
Their AHL affiliate, the Bridgeport Sound TIgers, reminds us of that with the following playoff warmup video: "Before They Were Islanders."
The video highlights:
- Travis Hamonic, a top shtudown defenseman for the Isles
- David Ullstrom, whose season was disrupted by injuries and a few healthy scratches
- Casey Cizikas, a natural bulldog and instant fan favorite
- Kevin Poulin, who dutifully bides his time while waiting for Evgeni Nabokov to (re)tire.
- Colin McDonald, who went from summer depth signing, to Bridgeport captain, to key 3rd liner with the Isles