This post is mostly a fresh thread for our commenters and mobile users (the morning thread continues here). As the 2013 NHL Trade Deadline wound down to a close, it picked up serious steam with a host of late trades of notable names.
None from the Isles though, other than some fun scuttlebutt about them chasing Brandon Saad.
- Ben Bishop was finally traded: To Tampa Bay for Cory Conacher and a 4th-round pick. Conacher becomes the Sens leading scorer.
- Scott Hannan is still in the NHL, apparently. He goes back to San Jose for a bottle of wiper fluid.
- The Pittsburgh Penguins added Jussi Jokinen for a conditional pick. He went unclaimed on waivers last month, probably because he carries a $3 million cap hit through next year.
- In a hilarious turn, the Flyers sent Michael Leighton and a third-round (!) pick to acquire Sergei Bobrovsky's backup in Columbus, the eternally struggling Steve Mason. Wow.
- Things got more interesting when Minnesota pulled the trigger on acquiring Jason Pominville and a 4th for prospects Johan Larsson and goaltender Matt Hackett (Where's Ryan Miller?), a 1st in 2013 and a 2nd in 2014. Wow. Nice haul.
- Then the big news hit: Marian Gaborik waives his no-trade clause to accept a trade to Columbus. Heading the Smurfs' way is Derek Brassard, Derek Dorsett and John Moore.
- Then the absolute earth-shaker that made waves around the league: Calgary sends Blake Comeau to Columbus for a fifth-round pick.
- UPDATE: In a late one, Toronto acquires Ryan O'Byrne from Colorado for a 4th-round pick.
- More late ones: Wade Redden from St. Louis to Boston for a conditional 7th, Steve Sullivan from Phoenix to New Jersey for a 7th.
- ADDITIONAL UPDATE: Reports now that the Capitals have traded stud prospect Filip Forsberg to Nashville for Martin Erat and center prospect Michael Latta. "Because 'Forsberg to Nashville' trades have always worked so well before," as Down Goes Brown put it on Twitter.
More is likely to trickle in as the clock strikes 3 p.m. EDT and any late filings filter in. [For example: Luongo pulled off the ice...? UPDATE: Nope, nothing to see here.] But we needed a new thread, and a place to digest NHL Trade Deadline 2013.
So the Isles were quiet (which could be good or bad, depending on your lens). Otherwise, how was Deadline 2013 for you?