I can't remember the last time an increasingly strong surge from the Islanders resulted in other playoff teams questioning their direction -- not 2007, which was a struggle to the finish line -- but that's what's happening now.
The Leafs were in a funk before this game, despite several wins, but last night was a firm reminder of their flaws.
- Scoring chances and quality analysis overall by Cam Charron at LeafsNation.
- NHL.com: For those of us who are skeptical, John Tavares says: "I really thought those two fights got us going."
- Mirtle of the Globe and Mail examines the Leaf's flaws.
- Shoalts of the Globe and Mail says it was worse than it looked, and Leafs are in danger.
- The Star has John Tavares as an MVP candidate: Leafs: John Tavares leads Islanders past Leafs
- Evgeni Nabokov (in Newsday) has John Tavares as an MVP candidate.
- NHL.com has John Tavares as an MVP candidate: New York Islanders' John Tavares returns home as MVP candidate
- ESPN has John Tavares as an MVP candidate: LeBrun: John Tavares makes case for Hart trophy in dazzling hometown display
- The Globe and Mail has Jack Capuano as ... well not quite Adams but definitely a coach deserving credit.
- For your casual friends: Five stats about the Islanders for people who haven’t been paying attention
- Wang: "We're not going to rename the team. The colors are the same. The logo is the same."
- Would he move to Brooklyn a year early? "Obviously."
- Yesterday was Easter Epic Day, if you missed this.
- Total fun: NHL What If?
On questions about Anders Lee's contract and whether he needs more games to "burn" the first year of his ELC: Don't think so. The CBA in 9.1(d)(i) describes the "slide" rule (the rule that postponed Nino Niederreiter's contract one year and Ryan Strome's two) is for players who sign their ELC at age 18 or 19.
Heading to Tribeca for the Kevin Connolly film on John Spano? Chime in.