If you saw the Toronto Maple Leafs last three games, you saw them get outshot 106-71 yet win two of the three with a combined score of 7-7.
This is consistent with their season: Get outshot and out-possessed horribly (average shot differential: minus-5), but win more than lose, in part thanks to James Reimer.
The Isles have been outshooting teams routinely lately. The Leafs have probably the better goalie and sharp shooters on the counterattack, but Evgeni Nabokov has been a hot goalie himself lately.
Both teams are hot: The Isles 7-1-2 in their last 10, the Leafs 7-2-1. Which breaks tonight?
Lineup Notes n' Links
- No surprise, James Reimer and Evgeni Nabokov get the starts. Kevin Poulin ponders the whole "plural form of Leaf?" question.
- In the turnstile at #6D, Matt Carkner is in for Radek Martinek.
- Both Casey Cizikas and Josh Bailey, banged up in different ways last game, are good to go.
- Will the Islanders revamp their identity for Brooklyn? No.
- If you're counting, which you are, the Isles magic number is reportedly eight.
- Cam Charron of Leafs Nation: "The Isles are a fascinating case study this season."
Charles Wang, via Chris Botta:
"We hold athletes accountable. I wish we could trade politicians. I don’t know what we’d get for them."
An easy target, always, but in the case of the Islanders and the long-running Nassau/Hempstead battle, extra appropriate.
Leave your First Islanders Goal picks in this thread.