Yes, he's no doubt gotten this all his life in hockey -- at least his name isn't Michael Bolton though -- so we'll just run that joke into the ground: Mike Keenan has taken a trial position in the New York Islanders organization.
Fortunately for all concerned, the position is AHL defenseman for the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, not resurrected tyrant coach of yesteryear.
Apparently this Keenan, 24, of Weymouth, Mass. -- and not that Keenan -- was captain of Dartmouth through their just-completed NCAA season. Before Dartmouth, there were two years with Sioux City in the USHL. Listed at 6'0", 190 lbs., he joins the Bridgeport Sound Tigers on an Amateur Tryout (ATO).
- Sound Tigers official release
- His bio at Dartmouth
- 2011 at Boston.com: On being named captain as a junior, after losing nearly an entire season to an ACL injury.
- Western College Hockey Blog describes him as a "physical" defenseman, while others note his rep as a "stay at home" type.
- Elsewhere, the Isles officially announce Mike Bossy's promotion to
Best Sniper in the UniverseVP of Corporate Sponsorship & Marketing.
- And from The Skinny last night: The Isles fell to 8-2-1 when leading after two periods. Which is weird, because I could've sworn that widespread online reaction to last night's loss told me "this happens all the time."
- By the way, the NHL's Situation Room continues to quote "distinct kicking motion" in ruling Keith Aucoin's goal off last night. So...yeah.
- And I keep forgetting to plug this, but any interest in a D.C.-area meetup to watch the Isles vs. the Canadiens Thursday night at 51st State? Go here to chat it up.
- Finally: Remembering NHL '94.