Well, the New York Islanders officially launched another losing streak last night and now head to Montreal for a game Thursday, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't read colorful descriptions of Matt Martin's workout discipline.
- First, recaps from last night: Newsday | LHH | IPB | The Skinny notes it was DiPietro's first appearance against Ottawa since 2008.
- Matt Moulson has caught Denis Potvin for all-time Isles iron man streaks. Would need next October to catch Bobby Nystrom, and all the way to Brooklyn to catch record holder Billy Harris.
Nino Niederreiter had his wisdom teeth pulled. However, it's believed his Swiss agent emailed a demand to transfer Nino to a different dentist.
- This article is about Zack Kassian's summer workouts, but the trainer provides some entertaining quotes about Matt Martin, a "genetic freak" made of "stone."
- I am really sympathetic to the concussion issue, but I must say I've watched this Hansen-Hossa play a bunch and see nothing wrong but an accident here. They were both reaching their hands up in the air for the puck, a rare and fairly unnatural move in hockey. Awkward result.
- A look at the options to replace Brian Strait [The Hockey Writers] [Newsday]
- Here's beatwriter Arthur Staple's Isles chat from yesterday. Lots of thoughts in there, lots of familiar questions.
- In Elliotte Friedman's 30 Thoughts, a rival GM compliments Garth Snow's "mastery of the salary floor."
- Botta on how the lockout sure hasn't hurt NHL business much.
- Weird: Ryan O'Reilly's dad on character and his son's contract situation. And character. Did i also mention Character? That too. Also, character.
Power rankings -- along with standings if the Bettman Point weren't worth half a regulation win -- will be up later this morning.