FIG Picks for tonight go here. You have until 10 pm to get them in.
How are we fixing the Islanders today?
- Arthur Staple gets some non-quotes from Garth Snow about what he's doing about his dying club. Snow and Charles Wang were in Staples Center for the Islanders' loss to the Kings on Saturday. [$]
- A loss which, by the way, lead to the Islanders' third closed door meeting of the season. What's going on in there? [Point Blank]
- Larry Brooks does his thing, mostly making sense but also getting cute about the money underneath it all. Summary: Hiring Peter Laviolette isn't likely to happen for the Islanders. [NY Post]
- Hey, we're insiders, too! Alan Muir of Sports Illustrated on the Ryan Miller rumors. And Bruce Garrioch shares some old news and a couple of interesting nuggets include the Islanders maybe possibly not being on Miller's No Fly list.
- Snow's moves haven't paid off this year. Will it be his last on Long Island? [The Checking Line]
- SPECIAL PRE-GAME SKINNY! The numbers and history behind the Islanders longest losing streaks. [Hornick]
Shawn Thornton is a dope
In case you somehow missed it, all hell broke loose in Saturday's Bruins-Penguins game at TD Garden. Condensing it here won't do it justice, but suffice it to say one hit beget another and another and eventually, Thornton ended up punching Brooks Orpik's face a few times while the Penguins defenseman lay motionless on the ice.
As expected, everyone took their turns weighing in. A sampling:
- Nick Cotsonika of Yahoo thinks the whole show was garbage.
- At The Hockey News, Ken Campbell has a problem with the NHL's culture of violence and the commenters appear to have a problem with Ken Campbell.
- The Boston Herald says - and I am not joking - that Orpik had it coming. Oh boy.
- Thankfully, CBS Boston disagrees, saying if the Bruins want to lay down with dogs, they're going to wake up with fleas.
- Sunday's NHL Scores. Sharks lose again, their third in a row. They are going to be in a real good mood for the Islanders on Tuesday night.
- And, of course, another game means another stupid hit. On Sunday, Dion Phaneuf plowed full speed into Bruins' rookie Kevan Miller in an egregious boarding incident. Keep that phone handy, Dion. [SB Nation]
- Board of Governor's
golf outing and scotch-tastingmeeting is this week at Pebble Beach. Pierre LeBrun has the itinerary.
- The honeymoon is officially over in Winnipeg. The Free Press' Gary Lawless goes full Country Club on the Jets, blaming a clique within the team he calls the "Atlanta Association" for the lack of urgency.
- And Greg Wyshynski counters by saying the real county club president is Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff. [Puck Daddy]
- Speaking of expansion teams that need changes, is it time for the Predators to give Barry Trotz a pink slip? [Harrison Mooney at PD]
- Personal favorite Ollie Kolzig is still patrolling the crease for the Capitals, now as their goalie coach. [Sports Illustrated]
- Olympic stuffs: Canada's goaltending depth ain't what it used to be. [Globe n' Mail]
- Finally, a pair from Tyler Dellow. Yes, Corsi matters, but not how some people think. And after almost 500 NHL games, Sam Gagner is still making curious and critical mistakes.
- Recap - Los Angeles Kings 3 (EN), New York Islanders 0: Streak hits nine games
- New York Islanders vs. Los Angeles Kings Preview: Lines and quotes and Brock Nelson back
- New York Islanders vs. Los Angeles Kings: Brock Nelson, Kevin Poulin return
- [Gameday Bits] In the court of the charcoal Kings
- Zeitgeist: Self-Destructing Islanders Introduce Second Mascot