He is out for tonight's game, per the team, which brings other changes as well. Your new first line center is Brock Nelson:
Capuano: Tavares will not play tonight (day-to-day, lower body). Brock Nelson to play first line center. #Isles— NYIslanders (@NYIslanders) December 28, 2013
Capuano continued: Peter Regin into the lineup at wing. Carkner in for Ness at defense. Nabokov in goal. #Isles— NYIslanders (@NYIslanders) December 28, 2013
Mark Herrmann is the man on the scene at the Coliseum today. Perhaps Tavares' injury is Radko Gudas-related?
Cappy said it wasn't something late in Det game that hurt JT. An earlier issue— Mark Herrmann (@markpherrmann) December 28, 2013
- FIG Picks for tonight's game against Jersey are here.
- Will Sammon pinch hit for Arthur Staple at Newsday yesterday and got to announce the first word on Tavares' injury. Not a lot of information so we'll wait for more. [New$day]
- Eric Hornick has all the numbers on Tavares' consecutive games played streak, which stretched back to 2010.
- Stop me if you've heard this before, but Kyle Okposo is making a case for this year's USA Olympic team. [Islanders]
- Newsday runs down 2013 in New York Sports. The Islanders come in seventh behind, I think, six stories about A-Rod.
Other NHL News:
- Last night's NHL scores. The Bruins crushed the Senators, the Blackhawks crushed the Avalanche and the Oilers and Flames... played as well.
- Pascal Dupuis has a torn ACL and could miss extended time. [SB Nation]
- Oh good. Flyers-Capitals could be next year's Winter Classic. Nice to see new teams involved he said sarcastically. [Broad Street Hockey]
- NHL Network: Still terrible, unless you need a WaxVac. [Awful Announcing]
- Coyotes owners want to see more asses in the seats. Good luck with that. [Puck Daddy]
- Sports Illustrated lists the 13 biggest NHL moves of 2013. Alan Muir is not a fan of the Thomas Vanek trade from the Islanders' POV.
- Evgeni Malkin brings the same brute force and deadly elegance he brings to hockey to his work as shampoo pitchman. This side tingles. [Yahoo Canada]
- [Bits] Pack up the stockings and bag up the tree. It's back to work
- New York Islanders Christmas Wishlist: Looking ahead
- [Bits] OK, students. No homework over Christmas break
- Recap - New York Islanders 3, Detroit Red Wings: All exactly as expected.
- Islanders News: Limping into Detroit