From Arthur Staple's story about the Islanders offense, this is the best sentence ever:
The Islanders have scored only 16 goals in their last 11 games (1-7-3), 11 of them from the top line of Thomas Vanek, John Tavares and Kyle Okposo. Of the 12 even-strength goals the Islanders have scored in that span, 10 have been from that No. 1 line; the other two are from Eric Boulton, his first goals since the 2010-11 season.
Also has some Jack Capuano thoughts on MIchael Grabner there.
Nabokov, the Islanders resident veteran and goaltender, just wanted to make sure everyone was on the same page in his zone. As a 13-year NHL vet, Nabokov is a steady presence in the Islanders locker room and adds his two cents when he feels it necessary.
"Nabby is very precise in what he wants," Thomas Hickey said. "As a defenseman, it’s all about guidance and communication. You know what shots to take and which to give up. It makes the game easier."
"These guys make the game easy. They talk a lot. Obviously I’m coming in here blindfolded a little bit. Not too sure what to expect, but my linemates helped me out a lot. The game is a bit easier down here, in the sense that everyone is in the rights spot. It’s not as chippy. It’s obviously faster, but for my skill set it fits nicely."
Nabby and Bossy on The Butch Goring Show 12/16
Wishing: Kind of which player you'd steal from each team: My Islanders Christmas Wish List : Part I - Eyes On Isles
On being in the first row by the bench at the Coliseum: Notes from the Front Row | What's Up, Ya Sieve?
Sportsnet does the "Capuano hot seat" drill.
- Shawn Thornton is appealing: Shawn Thornton suspension: Bruins forward files appeal - SBNation.com
- Legal theories on how that will go: TSN
- Are the Leafs just super shooters? Let's estimate the Maple Leafs' true shooting talent - SBNation.com
- Shooting at Jets myths: The Real Problem With the Winnipeg Jets - Don't Listen to the Lies - Arctic Ice Hockey
- Humor: Down Goes Brown: Brian Burke interviews candidates for the Flames' GM job: The top secret transcript
- And more: EXCLUSIVE: Leaked Scene from HBO's 24/7 - Winging It In Motown
- Real, but funny: Chicago Blackhawks Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews are NHL's Odd Couple - ESPN The Magazine
- Likewise: Hartnell embarks on new career as author | Flyer Files
- Lemme tell ya 'bout Bahhby Ahhr: Bobby Orr’s flying goal is now NHL ’94-themed desktop wallpaper | Puck Daddy
- Christmas video sendups and tomfoolery: Sharks. Blues.
Leave your First Islanders Goal picks for tonight here.