Well, the New York Islanders are on a 1-9-3 "run," but the (understandable) pissing and moaning in commentary is getting as old as a home overtime loss. Since it's the holiday season, and with another day and a couple of practices before action resumes, I'm wondering: What positives or signs of fun keep you following this team?
A few off the top of my head:
- Ryan Strome, obviously. Whatever he becomes, he's an entertaining player with an interesting back story who will be fun to watch navigate the highest level of hockey.
- Less obviously: Calvin de Haan. Do the Islanders have something here? Well yes, they certainly should. But to rephrase: What's his trajectory? He's an interesting one, because though fans have long focused on the overdraft and the injuries that have delayed his NHL career for so long, he should still become a decent NHL player. And the Isles could use those on the blueline right now. Seeing him and Travis Hamonic paired, you see what the Isles probably envisioned several years ago.
- Speaking of which, Griffin Reinhart: He's off to Sweden now for Canada's entry in the World Junior Championship tourney that straddles the New Year. One more chance to see him in big games, once the last three games of his silly four-game international suspension is through.
Taking off to Sweden for @HockeyCanada world jrs ✈️. Best time of the year. Go Canada!— Griffin Reinhart (@GriffinReinhart) December 15, 2013
- Here's a GIF of Evgeni Nabokov belly flopping in warmups, if you missed it.
- The Sound Tigers lost, 3-1, to Manchester. Pierre-Marc Bouchard had an assist on the lone goal. [Conn. Post]
- The night before, Anders Nilsson was big in his first game back in the AHL. [Conn. Post]
- Another scare for George Parros the other night has people worried about him continuing to fight. Also: Re-affirms Georges Laraque is a jackass.
Elsewhere: Confusing Things
- Did you watch 24/7? Here's an overview of the first episode. [SB Nation] [Puck Daddy]
- Dirk at On The Forecheck says it's been an impressive 15 years, but it's time to send David Poile on his way.
- Shane Doan's ailment is a mystery. [USA Today]
- Zenon Konopka digs his wines. For a cause and all.
- Goalie fights remain a contentious issue. [Washington Post]
- This is the David Clarkson buyout chart. [PPP]
- Jarome Iginla's finger is not in a good way. [Puck Daddy]
- I'm not sure what this is all about, but here's a wild picture of Ryan Miller as ring leader.
- I'm not sure what this is about either, but Milan Lucic was involved in an altercation in Vancouver ... off the ice. [That's YouTube. Here's Puck Daddy write-up.]
1986 All-Star Game Intros
Just because, here's the Wales Conference intro for the 1986 All-Star Game in Hartford. Islanders intros begin about 2:45 of the video (but careful: Just before that is a future Isles villain). Bryan Trottier wears #61.
(Also: Mario Gosselin was voted by fans to be the starter! ).