After the long, torturous, soul-crushing, season-sinking, website-imploding, IR-shuffling road trip out West ended with nothing but a lone shootout-aided end to the road losing streak, the New York Islanders resume their season at home tonight. This time, Ryan Strome really will debut.
As of this morning, Strome was slated to play center -- Casey Cizikas is out after that puck to the jaw he took early in Phoenix -- and would get power play time of some sort. He was lined up with Brock Nelson and Cal Clutterbuck, but the coach says linemates, and your specific inevitable reason for outrage, is to be determined.
Evgeni Nabokov starts for the first time since Nov. 16, as expected.
John Tavares on Strome: "He's chomping at the bit to get going," Tavares said. "It's been great to see him grow as a player, see how he's been tearing it up in the minors." [Newsday, including Strome's obligatory "I'd like to thank my linemates..."]
More from that one: "He's going to help us, no question," Capuano said. "With his skill set, he brings something that's been lacking. But there's a way he needs to play up here."
Strome is willing to be patient. He is an excitable young man and has had a hard time through his three Islanders training camps in containing his desire to make the team.
Other Good Reads
- Had to: How Long Does A Rebuild Take? - Pension Plan Puppets
- Because that team needs to know: Just How Bad are the Toronto Maple Leafs? | NHLNumbers.com
- And while we're picking at our own wounds: The randomness of goalies - SBNation.com
- On that note: Jay Feaster's tenure with the Flames: An abject failure - SBNation.com
- The cutest thing ever: Charlie Coyle Makes One Kid’s Day, Reminds Rest of Us There’s Still Magic in Sports | The United States of Hockey
- PGI's latest: Contrite Shawn Thornton sends Brooks Orpik an Edible Arrangements fruit basket - SBNation.com
- With inspiration from things like: Scientists Believe Hockey Players May Communicate By Banging Sticks Against Boards | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
- Okay, one more Leaf-gawking: Reeling Maple Leafs turn to video study | Hockey | CBC Sports
- David Clarkson was suspended two games [NHL video].
- Steven Stamkos is already skating again. [Sporting News]
- And now let's pick at the Whaler wounds among us: Two groups interested in owning NHL team in Hartford | Home Ice - SI.com
Leave your First Islanders Goal picks over here. Don't jinx Strome please.