The New York Islanders face the Los Angeles Kings at the Coliseum tonight, but it's different this time: No in-law jokes, this family is tearing itself apart. Matt Moulson is in Buffalo, and Jonathan Quick is back home in L.A. to get his lower body injury evaluated. Without in-law references, our game thread just won't be the same.
More Isles Reads
- All updates are pending this morning's skate, but John Tavares is still a question for tonight, Thomas Vanek is definitely out, and Kevin Poulin may get the start, Arthur Staple reports. [Newsday]
Aside: Since Tavares basically injured himself, whom do we scapegoat for this injustice? The Coliseum ice? Frans Nielsen and his mysterious unmerciful ways?
- The Kings have their own share of big injuries, obviously. [Jewels from the Crown]
- The details on yesterday's moves straight from Bridgeport's mouth, and with context at Soundin' Off and in the Connecticut Post.
- Kirill Kabanov, Kurious Kase. [Checking Line]
- If you missed it, this was Kevin Poulin talking about his game the other night. [Newsday]
- Apparently this
Winter ClassicOne Of Many In "Stadium Series" thing includes chrome logos for all teams. Here are Islanders players reacting to the logo...for a one-time jersey that will be unveiled at some point, surely.
- Ryan Pulock scored again for Brandon last night and has 18 points in 17 games. [boxscore]
- Remember that case where Bryan Berard and Michael Peca (among others) were defrauded out of investment money? The culprits have been indicted. [FanShot, to Daily News]
- FIG Picks: Leave your First Islanders Goal picks for tonight's game against the Kings over here.
- Last night's NHL action included an amazing Phil Kessel whiff in the shootout (Toronto lost the bonus point to Minnesota, Nazem Kadri was ejected after two bad hits), a Philadelphia regulation win in Pittsburgh, and Edmonton getting shut out for the third consecutive game at home.
- Really great piece by ex-NHLer Brad Marsh on life in the "dressing room," as old-timers and traditionalists call it. Goes back to his Atlanta Flames days. [HockeyBuzz]
- Is LaFontaine/Nolan a little too much nostalgia and not enough "these guys can fix it"? [Puck Daddy] [SB Nation]
- In your on-going Yakupov saga, fun quote from his agent and ex-player Igor Larionov: "I was a centre, I played the old-style, two-way game and he (Yakupov) is a goal-scorer. Look at (Pavel) Bure when he was in Vancouver. (Sergei) Makarov and ((Vladimir) Krutov didn’t play defence either (Russian national team or Central Red Army as part of the KLM line). I was doing the dirty job for them. Makarov and Krutov would be high, waiting for the pass to take off,"
- Maybe the Preds will chase Jonas Hiller if Pekka Rinne is out too long. [TSN] On the Forecheck discusses.
- Staying with goalies, allegedly the asking price for Ryan Miller is two first-round picks and more. But who knows. They're under new management, don'tcha know.
- Brian Burke discusses the Olympics, and why his biggest contribution to sport is apparently suing some online yammerers who made up stuff about him. [Star]
- Speaking of Burke, these are things said on day two of the sports management conference he cochairs. [Backhand Shelf]
- Brace yourself: The Quiet Room: Everything you need to know about Steven Stamkos’ injury | Backhand Shelf
- Hilarious if true, part I: Deadspin has picked up on that "Al Trautwig called my mom" thing mentioned yesterday.
- Hilarious if true, part II: Apparently Ray Emery dates what is known as a "recording artist" these days, and she took to Twitter to rip Robin Lehner after Lehner had the nerve to question Emery's attack on Braden Holtby. [6thSens] If your girlfriend ever says, "So I was on Twitter defending you," it usually means bad things for everyone. Except us gawkers and observers of silly human nature, of course.
- Needs no description: Every NHL Team As A Mega Man Sprite [Deadspin]