It was Hall of Fame weekend culminating in the finale Monday night, with the league and the Hall increasingly turning it into a nice weekend. Last night's speeches from Brendan Shanahan, Chris Chelios, Scott Niedermayer, Son of Shero, and Canadian women's player Geraldine Heaney's were well received.
For the Islanders, some decent injury news from Arthur Staple of Newsday: Thomas Vanek may be back by the end of the week, Travis Hamonic is ready to go after Max Pacioretty Chara'd his head against the boards, and Lubomir Visnovsky is at least beginning the concussion return protocol.
More on the Isles
- Some "what if?" scenarios if Jack Capuano is on the hot seat. [The Checking Line]
- No surprise that the Sound Tigers fell flat in the afternoon third of a three-in-three. [BST] Here is Fornabaio's live blog. [Soundin Off]
- This is Griffin Reinhart fighting a Tim Traber. [NYI Enforcers]
- Isles' Matt Martin talks NHL slang [Yes Network]
- FIG Picks: Your First Islanders Goal picks for tonight go over here.
And those others
- Predators goalie Carter Hutton is having a tough time of it. [Tennessean]
- Meanwhile, the NHLPA is angling to sue Tennessee over that athlete tax thing. [TSN]
- Brutal, brutal news on Steven Stamkos
- Nail Yakupov's agent Igor Larionov is open to a trade, you guys. [Edmonton Journal]
- The Sports Management Conference going on now confirms that the league powers are out of touch about basic things such as how people read and communicate about sports today. (More on this conference later.) Notable quotes from day one of from the PrimeTime Sports Management Conference | Backhand Shelf
- Brian Burke tends to be featured at these analytics conference, which, well...
- If Jack Capuano isn't gonna talk about the goaltending, Garry Bettman isn't going to talk about the goalie fighting. [TSN]
- But Denis Potvin will talk about fighting. [Sportsnet panel]
- Martin Biron will talk about anything though, now on MSG. [Blueshirt United]
- Montreal's mayor is very opinionated on the Canadiens. Good thing Kate Murray doesn't care about the Isles, right? Pacioretty says that's not cool, man.
- Puck possession, part I: Lack of it is one reason the Sabres are so bad. [Die By The Blade]
Puck possession, part II, via Friedman's 30 Thoughts: Why the Wild have gotten better..."Generally, third and fourth liners are tortured if they make a mistake trying to be fancy. Yeo admits the reigns are a little tighter for those players. But he points out that Torrey Mitchell's playmaking on Zenon Konopka's goal in last week's 5-1 win over the Calgary Flames is an example of the freedom allowed them, too."
This is excellent:
And this, apparently we've run it before but it's mesmerizing:
And this is Ryan Strome lighting it up in a 10-year-old tournament. I don't know why the Isles didn't call him up back in 2003:
More from Lighthouse Hockey:
- New York Islanders Need Goals from Michael Grabner
- [Bits] Matinees, Medical Mysteries and Memorializations
- New York Islanders Myths and Memes: On Regin, Bouchard, and other things that aren't the problem
- Recap - Montreal Canadiens 4, New York Islanders 2: The worst kind of trip
- Thomas Vanek Injury: Winger leaves ice in Columbus after first shift, 'upper body' injury