Like Milan Jurcina lining up a hip check, the Islanders' 2013-14 season is slooooowly getting closer. Inch by excruciating inch.
Last night's scores from SBN Nation NHL.
- This Jack Capuano profile by Arthur Staple includes a lot about the coach that many might not know, such as his motivational methods, his (rare) post-game blow-ups and his interesting list of ex-teammates (Dave Nonis!) [New$day]
- Staple on the Islanders getting off the good start and winning games before, ya know, Christmas. [Dolan$ Paper]
- Staple also updated us on the statuses of Travis Hamonic and Michael Grabner. Both seem okay.
- Garth Snow was on The Butch Goring Show yesterday. Snow talked about his youth, his career and his life after hockey. Big thing for me: he reveals the interview process for the Islanders GM job that no one knew about it until after he got the job. [Hockey This Week Radio]
- Andrew MacDonald was on Sirius XM radio, I assume to talk about the Islanders. [Islanders]
- Marketing honcho Brett Yormark caused a minor stir yesterday by using the words "Islanders" and "uniforms" in the same sentence within earshot of another human being. Yes, there will be a black and white third jersey when they move to Brooklyn. Yes, the constant haranguing on his Twitter feed caused him to back off on plans to change the primary colors. No, you shouldn't freak out but it's probably too late. [Sports Business Daily]
- Christian Arnold of New York Hockey Journal wants to see Josh Bailey on the top line with John Tavares and Matt Moulson. [NYHJ]
- Islanders Enter 2013-14 Season Drama Free. Nice, isn't it? [Eyes on Isles]
- Um...sorta Islanders related: Carol Alt on the attraction to athletes and keeping those relationships going. Must be cool to just say in a conversation, without a hint of sarcasm, "You know, Brooke Shields and I were talking about this other day..." [SI Swim Daily]
Michael Grabner back on the ice at #Isles practice. Same for Travis Hamonic, back in regular blue defenseman's sweater.— Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday) October 2, 2013
- Sadly, the blood clot in his leg will keep Tomas Vokoun on the shelf for 3-6 months. To him, I wish the best of luck. To the Penguins... not so much. [The Sporting News]
- Three NHL GMs - Steve Yzerman, Jim Rutherford and Ray Shero - tell Darren Dreger that fighting should be either banned outright or more harshly penalized. I'm so sick of these arguments distracting from hockey that I have no idea where I stand anymore. [TSN]
- Which seems like a good time to check in with noted non-fighter, Ivy League grad and former Charlestown Chief, Ned Braden. Hey, how's that little gal of his doin'? [The Classical]
- James Mirtle breaks down the heights, weights and ages of all NHL teams. The Islanders are the lightest team in the league. The heaviest: the Los Angeles Kings. Must be all those In N' Out Burgers. [Mirtle]
- Some very smart bloggin' folks answer questions about the upcoming season for The National Post. Participants are Kent Wilson of Flames Nation, Joe Yerdon of Pro Hockey Talk, Tyler Dellow, PPP's Julian Sanchez and friend of LHH/active stick enthusiast Laura Saba of Habs Eyes on the Prize. [National Post]
- "...Shit." [Awful Announcing]
Hold on. For one more day.
More from Lighthouse Hockey:
- [Bits] AMac & Okposo Get A's, CMac & Brock Bond, Phil Gets Paid
- Zeitgeist: More Predictions for the 2013-14 NHL Season
- [Bits] Roster Cuts, Video Game Memories and Other Customs
- Islanders Cuts: Reinhart, Donovan and Nelson Stick, Strome Bridgeport Bound [UPDATED]
- 20 Years after NHL 94: Islanders survive, revive