There was more circus-like activity in the NHL last night, but first we'll circle our own ring in Islanders country before gawking at the other bearded ladies around the league:
- This nhl.com update on Kyle Okposo's start (with plenty of references to last spring again) also includes your classic "he's played harder, could play smarter" line.
- The Islanders' power play has been very productive so far. They say they're simplifying the approach. [Isles]
- For now, Kevin Poulin prefers being the NHL backup to getting more starts in Bridgeport. [Newsday]
- The Stockton Thunder features Kirill Kabanov, who scored again last night.
- Brett Yormark says minimal changes are needed to the arena in Brooklyn before hockey begins full time. [ESPN Radio via Nets Daily]
- Speaking of which, the summarized version of below-projection income figures for the [English soccer league sponsor] Center. [SportsBusiness Daily]
- If you missed it yesterday, IPB went into some more detail on the financial arrangement in securing the Isles. Interesting stuff.
- Fun Q&A with stat man Eric Hornick. [THW]
- Talking the Sound Tigers and Ryan Strome with play-by-play man Phil Giubileo.
- This picture of John Tavares' dental work might make you squeamish. [Twitter via IPB]
- The Sporting News with a little Twitter jab from John Spano about Mike Milbury.
- The business perspective on how the hell Spano pulled his ruse for as long as he did. [Business Insider] (Amazing how he's got himself in the news again with this, eh?)
- Chris Campoli has found work in Sweden with HV71 (not a virus), because he's not Radek Martinek. (Yes, Radek re-signed with the Isles yesterday.)
Kenny Reiter used to live with Mike Matheny, who is managing a team in baseball's
North AmericanWorld Series.
Because you never know:
No hearing for F. Nielsen for his "elbow" to Ryan Kesler's "head" from Tuesday. Some of you were very concerned last night. #Isles— Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday) October 24, 2013
Around the Rest of the Circus
Hey, guess what? John Scott is still an idiot, and now he's claimed another victim. Remember that he wasn't suspended at all but the guys who (admittedly crossed the established line) in trying to deter him during preseason got suspensions.
Scott and the Sabres are such a disaster that even Mike Milbury can rant about him and Ron Rolston for the better part of seven minutes and make sense.
I had to link this Lightning article because it's basically Mad Libs with blank spots for the fourth liners on any team: Lots of "grit" and "grind" with Nate Thompson and friend, as well as this classic: "Despite the five-goal deficit, the Bolts’ fourth-line toughness..."
It's almost like Martin Brodeur suddenly realized he's old.
The planned pan-Europe hockey club competition has a chief sponsor. (h/t Francesca) Hopefully not a Russian oligarch's toy.
Seems Randy Carlyle has some Jack Capuano in him: Colton Orr after goals (against, rather than for).
I see what you did there: Another shot quality article? Of Corsi did! | The LeafsNation
And one more Leaf: Mirtle: Are the Leafs an outstanding ‘shooting’ team? - The Globe and Mail
This is for a "new Coke ad," not a "New Coke" ad: Watch Bob McKenzie act circles around Steven Stamkos in new Coke ad (Video) | Puck Daddy - Yahoo Sports