"I've never had a Visnovsky myself." - Mike Stobe
A sampling of news to chew as the NHL prepares to return.
First, around New York Islanders Country:
- Yes, yes expect junior prospects Ryan Strome and Griffin Reinhart in camp.
- The latest on Lubomir Visnovsky: He ... oh, I can't keep a straight face. Just read it [LHH thread].
- Some really rough Google Translate here, but Jesse Joensuu is ready to give it another go in Islanders camp -- and he's relieved the lockout didn't end while he was still mending his hand (which, I wrongly thought unlikely)
- Bridgeport converts those Colorado ECHL PTOs into full AHL deals. [LHH thread]
- Michael Fornabaio reports Brock Nelson and Travis Hamonic were both skating without the red no-contact jerseys, and Aaron Ness was on a painful trip to the doctor.
- Five reason time! Why the Isles might make the playoffs. Why 48 games is good for little guys, maybe.
- Twitpic: Who gave Tavares a Missouri State shirt?!
And the rest of the league:
- Brian Burke is fired. The timing is insane and mysterious. Some even claim it's over Roberto Luongo. Maybe the board didn't like him. Maybe they prefer someone with Garth Snow's style.
- Interesting read on how the cap recapture rules for circumvention contracts affect whether Luongo is traded under the new CBA.
- Is it possible Wade Redden is even worse off in this CBA? Bob McKenzie suggests the Rangers keep him -- and not play him even in the AHL.
- Jonathan Willis on why the new CBA has, once again, failed to fix the NHL's biggest financial problem.
- Gary Bettman is sorry, you guys. So it's all cool now. (I bet we get free popcorn.)
Maybe hot dogs, too.