This past weekend was the New York Islanders' turn in the NHL.com 30 in 30 series of offseason previews. That means a fresh batch of material on your favorite team -- some of it topics we've picked apart all summer, but some of it new.
First the links, then the discussion:
- The Five Questions topic covers who replaces P.A. Parenteau, plus Ryan Strome, Josh Bailey, Rick DiPietro and Mark Streit.
- Speaking of that first topic, they go a little deeper with Brad Boyes.
- And speaking of the second topic, they go a little deeper with Strome as part of a top 10 prospect list.
- Here is one projected lineup, placed in the context of whether or not Strome makes the team.
- And the overall preview sets the stage, focusing on that dreaded "consistency" meme and also going further into whether anything can be expected of Strome or Nino Niederreiter. Capuano sounds excited about Strome and the three young D-men pushing for promotion.
- The "consistency" focus (overfocus?) tends to come from Capuano, who was interviewed on XM Home Ice Friday, with the audio replay available here (link corrected). He treads around the goalie question.
Well, that's the Islanders turn in the spotlight at the hub. The 30 in 30 series is of course meant to lead up to the opening of training camps next month, but ... we'll see that when we see it.
As for lineups, that's worthy of discussion, though it's a mid-August view with no controversial placements (i.e., none of the veterans are cut/demoted), but it does propose Strome and Matt Donovan make the team while Niederreiter does not.
In discussing this last night, Mark D pointed out it's also a sub-cap-floor roster, but who knows what the next CBA has in store (the owners are obviously planning on rolling back how much they have to spend on salaries). At any rate, here's their sketch for now:
Matt Moulson - John Tavares - Brad Boyes
Josh Bailey - Ryan Strome - Kyle Okposo
David Ullstrom - Frans Nielsen - Michael Grabner
Matt Martin - Casey Cizikas - Eric Boulton
extra: Marty Reasoner - Jesse Joensuu
Objections? Which changes would you make? Which changes do you predict?