This is Huddersfield Town's Gary Roberts, who has never boarded Kenny Jonsson as far as we know.
Greetings on a lazy Sunday. none of the following Islanders and general hockey reading has anything to do with the Olympics, though there is talk of Coliseums:
- New signee Nathan McIver confirms his signing was due to the organization's desire to bring in more proverbial "toughness."
- The deadline for the Nassau Coliseum RFQ (chapter whatever of the saga) is Monday. Is your proposal ready? This Donald Monti guy says he "plans" to submit one.
- This was posted in comments, but is a funny look and an oft-forgotten part of the 2002 playoff game when Leafs dirtbags took out Kenny Jonsson and Michael Peca: The Leafs lineup snafu.
- A question we'll ask all summer (and fall?): Where will Nino Niederreiter play in 2012-13?
- Kyle Okposo reviews The Dark Knight Rises for the official site. No info there on whether he watched it with Nassau County leaders.
- If you've seen my takes on the Rick Nash trade and Alexander Semin signing, you can bet I got a kick out of this comparison of how the two receive different treatment in the media conventional wisdom. The line that made me guffaw: "Nash has played for Dave King, Doug MacLean, Gerard Gallant, Gary Agnew, Ken Hitchcock, Claude Noel, Scott Arniel and Todd Richards. Semin has played for Bruce Cassidy, Glen Hanlon, Bruce Boudreau and Dale Hunter. Who is the coach killer?"
- Much hyped import Fabian Brunnstrom is gone, back to Sweden. Man, remember when he debuted with a hat trick?
- Former Blues coach Davis Payne has landed in Los Angeles as an assistant. Many say he already was, and will one day again be, a good NHL coach.
- Lots of teams still want Shane Doan, who's in no hurry, but Doan wants a lot of money. What would you offer to coax the greybeard to Long Island? Would you dare four years?
- Finally, speaking of arena business but a whole continent away from Nassau: The Chicago Wolves owner is still making noise about wanting an NHL team in Seattle, which also complicates that area's existing arena quest. Related-ish: Here's a cool history of hockey in the area.
P.S. Bobby "Buyout" Butler: Would ya?