The New York Islanders signings and confirmed departures were discussed in exhaustive detail as free agency opened Sunday. [PGI came through with an excellent satire on fan reaction.] Today work continues, and it's reasonable to expect further movement around the league leading up to the July 4 U.S. holiday Wednesday.
TSN's free agent tracker showed more than 40 names changing teams on July 1 alone, though the vast majority are of the cheap depth or declining millionaire variety, with aging players like Filip Kuba, Sami Salo and Ray Whitney each fetching two-year deals between $7.5 and $9 million. Headliners Zach Parise and Ryan Suter are said to each be weighing multiple, decade-long deals of as much as $100 million. Maybe expect decisions later today -- or maybe not, because they're Parise and Suter, and you're not.
For the Islanders, Dylan Reese's move to Pittsburgh on a two-way deal and Matt Carkner moving in from Ottawa on a three-year deal means there is room and need for another blueline addition to at least make a solid NHL seven. To that end, Newsday's Isles roundup said Devils defenseman Bryce Salvador was weighing several offers including one from the Isles. Salvador isn't exciting, and if he's weighing multiple offers then heaven help the price, but he's a solid, reliable defenseman. Another blueline domino still in play is the Flyers' Matt Carle, though no established media have linked him with the Isles.
Other links of note while you wait for Day 2 of the frenzy to move you:
- One NHL Numbers look takes an optimistic view of Reese.
- P.A. Parenteau: TSN takes a numbers look, while ESPN says it's for the future.
- NHL.com on the Islanders' day.
- The Isles official site on Carkner bringing proverbial toughness.
- And here was Boyes on taking the deal to join the Isles. UPDATE: Here's Boyes on XM Home Ice
- Rangers welcome ex-Isles Asham and Haley (and cheers to Asham for completing the Atlantic cycle), while they let Brandon Prust chase more lucrative pastures.
- The Ducks naturally feel betrayed by Justin Schultz.
- The Preds naturally feel impatient with Suter.
- Finally, USA Today tries to keep track of who's in and out for each team.
- [updated] For SB Nation, my take on the usual July 1 frenzy and letdown.
- Marty Brodeur got the two-year offer he wanted, so he stays with the Devils.
- Staple and others say the Isles added ex-Baby Penguins Brandon DeFazio and Colin McDonald on two-way deals.
More to come if there are any further Islanders moves. In the meantime, treat this as your second-day free agency open thread. For commenters, civility to each other shall remain the rule.