Yesterday's prospect scrimmage, your last taste of live "hockey" for many months (but hopefully not too many months) was the usual assortment of "Who's that guy again?" and "Oh, prospect has nice hands" and such.
- The official site has a scrimmage wrapup, and Newsday has a blog update with who impressed staff during camp (Scott Mayfield, Kirill Kabanov, Brenden Kichton ... take any comment on Jason Clark with the context of double hip surgery). And if you like the in-game peanut gallery, here was our live game thread.
Newsday also talks to Nino Niederreiter and Jack Capuano on the former's approach to making the NHL team in the fall. (Also from Staple: ex-Peoria coach Jared Bednar is a candidate for Bridgeport.)
- Dee Karl at HockeyBuzz has additional notes, with Brock Nelson and Griffin Reinhart "meeting" each other.
- Christian Arnold at NY Hockey Journal catches up with Mayfield.
- Not clipped in yesterday's roundup: Johan Sundstrom on wanting to make the NHL, as well as the Puck Daddy bit on Reinhart.
- A nice, remorsful WOWY look from Battle of California at Lubomir Visnovsky, who appeared to help his Ducks teammates more often than not. [Also: Don't miss Sleek's three-panel toon on the trade.]
- UPDATE: Don't forget about Parenteau. Like, as if we needed the reminder.
Other league-wide issues and fun follow:
- A nice sheet of free agents with advanced stats in the table.
- The Lightning say they dig it: Statistical Analysis Helps Lightning Organization Navigate Free Agency - Tampa Bay Lightning - Features
- How many licks until you get to the center of...? Where do bottom six forwards come from? | mc79hockey.com
- Of course, CBA on the mind with the first bargaining session today: NHL collective bargaining: The issues | CBC Sports
- Can't we all just split the pie up along? Time for consensus, not conflict, in NHL labour talks | Hockey | CBC Sports
- Spot the difference: Reports and rumours: really, what’s the difference?
- Marty Brodeur, to market?
- Finally, I don't know where this Luongo gif is from but it's top notch.