Yesterday was the day after, of laughter and celebration (and mourning for some). Today things quickly move to full off-season mode for the NHL. The annual awards ceremony is a week from today. The 2012 Draft is in 10 days. The Monday after the draft, qualifying offers are due on restricted free agents. A week later, the silly season known as July 1.
Other happenings and good clips in the Islanders and hockey world:
- The Islanders posted some copy and video of those Garth Snow sessions with prospective season ticket holders.
- As tipped in comments yesterday, Mark Katic is being pursued by Berlin. (Not the band. Though they have a Metro too.) [FanShot talk here] Also, word is Rob Schremp signed with Dinamo Riga, too.
Staple tweeted that the Isles and Sudsie the goalie consultant are parting ways. FanShot discussion here.
- Pretty: Bid on a (scout's) 1982 Stanley Cup ring.
- Odds are already up for next year's Cup winner. Guess who's at the bottom?
More Draft Fun
- In the Isles' continuing draft series, get to know Matt Dumba. (I know from our mock selection that some of you would like to.)
- Speaking of which, SB Nation's mock draft continues here.
- The final update to the weighted "consensus" draft top 100 that Derek Zona has been tracking at NHL Numbers.
- Corey Pronman on the whole Grigorenko question. (Was it all just the mono?)
- Consensus #1 Nail Yakupov on being a Muslim, Don Cherry, the draft combine and playing in Canada | OilersNation
- (Did someone say Cherry? Here he is again: KuklasKorner : KK Hockey : Video- Don Cherry Wants To Know What Was Rob Scuderi Thinking?
Cup and Free Agent Fun
- These top photos of the Kings' celebration are everything you would hope (unless you're a Devils fan).
- Good for Ted Nolan, getting to enjoy the Cup as a daddy.
- The "no Cup since 1967" club is dwindling.
- Quick's daughter stole the show at the post game press conference. Mrs. Lighthouse and I discussed: Is this a diversion because he's shy with the media?
- The Devils' financial straits are constantly in the news, but this run to the finals added an estimated $26 million to the coffers.
- Oilers lock up Klefbom, a hot Swedish prospect they drafted with their pick in the Penner deal.
- Free agent wingers: Who is out there? PAP is out there.
- No longer free agents: Did the Bruins overpay for Chris Kelly after an atypical season?
- Well, are they? Are The Leafs Shopping Luke Schenn? | The LeafsNation
- Who were the good values on the Rangers? (2012 Goals Versus Salaries)
- The eternal: Does Size Matter in the NHL Draft? | NHLNumbers.com
- More teams using advanced stats in scouting?: The Gauntlet Sports - Hockey talent below the surface
- Rob Vollman (who's behind those cool player usage charts) shoots a video to narrate the rationale behind Corsi. Don't be scared.