Not pictured: Dale Hunter, who was unable to crosscheck the winners from behind.
It wasn't officially announced last night [Update: It is now], but word filtered out that the New York Islanders had secured winger John Persson to an entry level contract. IPB cited the Red Deer Rebels' site while Michael Fornabaio was told terms had been reached, though formal signing is pending.
Persson was the Islanders' second fifth-round pick in 2011 and followed that up with an excellent season for Red Deer, an impressive late-season ATO with Bridgeport and, of course, a spot on our Top 25 Islanders Under 25.
The big news of last night was Kirill Kabanov and the host Shawinigan Cataractes winning the Memorial Cup in a thrilling 2-1 OT win. Kabanov was all over the place in the win, setting up the tying goal on a shot from the half boards and generally creating chances on nearly every shift. In overtime Kabanov -- notoriously a pass-first forward -- even altered his game to the situation by firing shots more often. It was a very impressive final junior game for Kabanov, whose countryman Anton Zlobin was the star with both goals.
Kabanov's clearly ready for the next level. Zlobin, meanwhile, should get a little more notice for the 2012 NHL Draft after he was overlooked in 2011.
In a cool scene, a Russian flag (from Kabanov's parents) with Kabanov's 77 and Zlobin's 79 made it down from a suite to ice level and became a signature of the Russians' on-ice celebration.
Just don't tell Don Cherry.
- From a few days ago: The official site on Denver prospects Scott Mayfield and Kirill Kabanov.
- John Tavares is trailing Pekka Rinne: One more day to vote for JT for the NHL13 cover.
- Grabner has a razor and isn't afraid to use it for the effort.
- If you missed Yahoo's eulogy, Keith and Mark each play unintended featured roles. Hint: As does Neil Smith. GFY Keith.
- SB Nation's Wisconsin blog Bucky's 5th Quarter has the rundown of Wild (and L.I. native) beatwriter Michael Russo suggesting Anaheim will prepare a tampering complaint regarding Ducks prospect Justin Schultz, who is headed to free agency after withdrawing from U. of Wisconsin.
- Oh, hey, are you sitting down? Larry Brooks takes some digs at John Tortorella.
- But anyway, on the same topic, Timo Seppa looks at whether the ballyhooed Rangers shot-blocking mentality is sustainable.
- On the Nash drama: NHL: Jackets due to get serious about getting rid of Nash | BlueJackets Xtra
- Interesting: AHL to NHL Shot Translations. - Habs Eyes On The Prize
- And more like that: Rookie Usage Charts | NHLNumbers.com
- Heh: BOC on Free Will and the penalty box.
- He's dropping in the rankings, but Grigorenko eager to prove his doubters wrong - NHL.com - 2012 NHL Draft
- CHL Honors: Houser, Hamilton, Yakupov win CHL Awards
- Couple of interesting developments that might not exist if not for the NHL-CHL agreement keeping U20s out of the AHL: Dave Volek's son might go to Europe; Boston's prospect Alexander Khokhlachev might go to the KHL.
- Unintended complication: Kings' Gagne given the all-clear to return to game action - The Globe and Mail
Finally, content from around LHH if you took a long weekend (which you still might be on):
- Top 25U25: Scott Mayfield
- PGI's excellent one-act eulogy for the Rangers
- I continue to be charged with covering the Kings at the SB Nation NHL hub, so here's my Stanley Cup finals look at the offense.
- Discussion of Calder candidates, which that rookie usage link above should tell you lends support to Landeskog.
- FanPosts: Favorite Islanders jersey? And your thoughts on the #4 pick?