The playoffs march on without the Islanders, but the Islanders players aren't done with hockey:
- Several players are already involved in the "preseason" before the IIHF World Championship gets underway. Steve Staios talked about how it can help them.
John Tavares picked up points against the Swiss, while Frans Nielsen picked up four vs. Italy. Kyle Okposo registered a goal and an assist against Sweden. Scott Gordon used to play him in all situations; wonder if that's the role he'll get under Gordon in this tourney. (By the way, Petr Nedved is playing in his first W.C. ... at age 40.)
- Prospects Ryan Strome and Mitchell Theoret are about to do battle for Niagara in the OHL final, fighting London for a spot in the Memorial Cup where Kirill Kabanov will also get another run. The former two did a Q&A with the official site.
- NEW: David Ullstrom profiled in Sverige (Google Translate link here)
- A couple more looks at the IceDogs-Knights series here and here and here.
- They're just like us! Matt Donovan gets his name in the society pages for being "seen" at an NBA playoff game in his home state.
- Yep: Frozen In Time - May 1, 1980 Video - NHL VideoCenter
- Ilya Bryzgalov made some excellent saves last night ... then the Devils blitzed him for three third-period goals.
- Alexander Radulov and Kostitsyn's night at the Roxbury.
- But seriously, what happened? Radulov is "a tower without a roof"?
- Reactions from Poile and Suter
- And by "real" he means "real Moulson brother-in-law": Kings' Quick is the 'real deal': Vachon
- Ouch: Sami Lepisto blocked a slapshot
- Where will Jordan Staal go, if he goes?
- I'm not sure I understand this: Three-quarter shields may replace full facemasks in college hockey — Sports — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine
- John Tortorella is always cantankerous and frequently brief, but is this playoff season's over-the-top brevity a response to his $20k fine for daring to rip the Penguins? I hope he loses.
Next report card is due up later today.