Over at the Soundin' Off blog at ConnPost.com, Sound Tigers beat writer Michael Fornabaio has a thorough rundown of last night's game with post-game quotes from the coach and the goalie, "rusty" and "feisty" Anders Nilsson. The Sound Tigers site also has an official game report.
(If you haven't heard, tonight's game will be streamed live -- video, too -- on the official site.)
Of note from the 3-1 Bridgeport win:
- Full braintrust in the house, per Fornabaio. With the NHL tripping itself, what else they gonna do?
- Providence scored first, early and on the rush, but that was all they put past Nilsson in 35 shots on goal.
- Sound Tigers responded with a pair of fights (Brett Gallant fought before the goal, Blair Riley and Nathan McIver after) in the first four minutes, and a trio of goals (Johan Sundstrom, Mike Halmo, Nino Niederreiter) over the first two periods.
- Kirill Kabanov drew a penalty that enabled Halmo's powerplay goal. Fornabaio also cited Sean Backman as drawing two penalties in the third period, when it sounded like Bridgeport held their lead firm and put the game away.
- Many were wondering about Jason Clark. He played and contributed to the first goal (Sundstrom's).
Even NHL preseason games are usually devoid of much official information, so if you're starved for descriptions of (future Islanders) hockey, check out those recaps and pretend everything is hunky dory in the world. (Also: Watch tonight.)
The lineup from the Sound Tigers:
Niederreiter – Nelson – Kabanov
Halmo – Sundstrom – Backman
DeFazio – Watkins – Riley
Gallant – Clark – MacKay
Ness – Landry
de Haan – Wishart
McIver – Cantin
And then that will be it: One more week of camp before the real deal starts next weekend, while the NHL punts itself to oblivion.
Assuming there's interest, we will host a fresh game thread here. If for some reason you don't see a new dedicated post, feel free to leave your views of tonight's action in this one for all to see.