Think ye not of the CBA, for it shall only get thee down.
With each grandstanding, made-for-indirect-pressure comment from the NHL or NHLPA, we get closer and closer to the reality that following New York Islanders players and prospects will be restricted to a smattering of different leagues not called "NHL." At least for the next few months.
To that end, some bits here and yonder:
- Keep an eye on all those college games that will be on TV. Cody Rosen, yo.
- Watch Mark Streit score like he's playing inferior opposition.
- Watch Mike Bossy pitch for Dunkin Donuts. In
French[er, uh English actually. But supposedly in Quebec.] And orange and ... black?
- Supposedly you could watch Kirill Petrov play for Admiral Akbar today on ESPN3, but like so many KHL statements it appears the cart went before the horse (or the Lada went before the babychka?), as the deal is "not yet finalized." They think this weekend will have games though. Hold your breath.
- Fornabaio: On Anders Nilsson's second year in North America. On assistant coach Eric Boguniecki's hip replacement(!). (And on Nino, if you missed earlier)
- Newsday [$5 please]: On the goalie prospects | On Nino Niederreiter's attempted rebound | On possible OSHA fines at the Coliseum
- More on the OSHA story from Long Island Press [well, AP].
- More from Brett Cyrgalis in the Post on Niederreiter not wanting to be a "grinder," and on Travis Hamonic's adjustment to the lockout.
- And plenty more on Nino and the 20-year-olds from the official site. Their official Bridgeport camp blog with videos and other stuff is here. For example, that's where you'll find the feature on team-building at Fort Dix.
- Finally, we had silly fun faux-chronicling last night's canceled preseason game in Brooklyn. Weep at the non-memories.
- Does anyone feel like the PA hates Gary Bettman so much (understandably), we'd have a much better chance of concessions and a deal if it weren't his smug face on the other side of the bargaining table?
- For painful memories: Breaking Down N.H.L.'s Three Lockouts - NYTimes.com
- Well that's depressing. Here, have some DGB: Down Goes Brown: This is non-core: The agenda at the latest round of CBA negotiations
May your next meeting be a core economic one.