Home? - Bruce Bennett
So this is what it's like when the national media cares.
The media coverage of yesterday's franchise-altering announcement is so vast we can't begin to capture it all. If you see interesting links about the New York Islanders move to Brooklyn, as always share in comments or FanShots.
But here's a sampling of what they're saying:
Newsday (how will their relationship with the team change?): Islanders greats have understandably mixed reactions | A "monument to the inability of public officials to lead" | For the Isles (and free agents), certainty at last | After years of trying to keep Islanders in Nassau, Charles Wang chose alternative | Islanders brand should grow in Brooklyn |
Times: A Home Not Built for Two (graphic) | Islanders Follow the Nets to a New Arena in Brooklyn | Charles B. Wang, the Islanders’ Unorthodox Owner | Revisiting the tortured history, and Mike Bossy is behind Wang "100 percent" | New York Islanders, in Name Only, Head to Brooklyn (Vecsey, who freely admits he doesn't know who coaches or plays for the Islanders, yet you should still take him seriously) | Doug Weight talks Isles-Rangers rivalry, while the Times assures us the Rangers will be okay | Some people don't know where Brooklyn is. Some of those people live in Brooklyn.
From the Times:
Details of the deal were not made public, but people involved in the talks said there were no financial incentives involved, nor any involvement from the city government. A preliminary analysis by the city’s Economic Development Corporation did estimate, however, that the Islanders deal could generate $175 million in economic activity each season.
- Brooklyn Daily Eagle covers multiple angles.
- Daily News: The Isles are moving and also there's a lockout | Good for the Isles, good for future free agents.
- The Post editorial board approves. Whew, I was worried. | Brooks finds it all positive too. (Okay, now I'm sincerely worried.)
- Fantastic piece from the Post by Mike Vaccaro.
- USA Today captures a NYU sports business guy, and Chicken Parm ripping the Coli
- This move will not help the Islanders lure free agents. [Custance, ESPN Insider]
- This move will help the Islanders lure free agents. [NHL.com]
- Whatever, it's a breath of fresh air. [ESPN]
- The Globe and Mail's King of Relocation David Shoalts covers the move.
- Forbes riffs on the move.
- Audio: Whole bunch of reports at WFAN (my favorite: Kate Murray touting the circus), and probably their interview with Wang is up there somewhere too.
- Video interviews: Garth Snow at the official site, plus many more including the full press conference.
- LHH: Our story stream, our massive initial comment thread, the details of the announcement, and Mark's take.
- SB Nation: Travis asks about the X-Factor: What about the venue being built for basketball?
- Brooklyn: Don't forget, this affects so many season ticket holders. (Like Gary Harding, quoted in the previous link.)
- Blogs ... Vinny at Puck Buddies: Brooklyn I love you, and you are certainly not bringing me down. Kevin at IPB says no matter how you feel, this had to happen. Gallof at CBS puts the blame on County/Town dysfunction.
- P.M. ADDITIONS: Denis Potvin on the move (audio), he sounds more understanding now |
Okay, that's plenty. Again, add any essential reading links in comments.