After the Monday afternoon loss to Nashville (or, as the joke goes, about six minutes into the first period), Kevin Poulin was returned to Bridgeport. As of Monday night the transactions did not list Al Montoya
coming off IR from his concussion, but that is the logical inference here. EDIT: Apparently he was never on IR, and the emergency recall did not necessitate it.
Newsday quotes Travis Hamonic on taking that shot on the foot from Shea Weber: "I wear Shot Blockers for a reason,'' he said. "I definitely don't wear them for style points." They also have Preds coach Barry Trotz praising John Tavares' development.
More notes from Monday, from around the league, and other Isles links -- including a COZO note that has us rolling:
Brent Sutter is looking for answers in Calgary and that includes a line shakeup that promotes Blake Comeau in the middle of an 11-game goal drought. When he was a supported yet frustrating Islander, we noted his propensity for "COZOs" -- Comeau Offensive Zone Orbits. It seems Sutter has too:
"He can really skate when he’s coming down that wing," said coach Brent Sutter. "But he passes up a lot of shots because he wants to take the puck, goes for the loop around the net to the other side, and nothing happens. That’s what the opposition wants to happen. When he has opportunities, he has to use his shot."
Okay, onward now:
- On the Forecheck recaps yesterday from the Preds point of view. And here's post-game reaction from the Tennessean's blog.
- Michael Fornabaio has some notes -- including one link on that Anton Klementyev signing with his old team, the re-invented but not-yet KHL again Lokomotiv. That's also where he'll do his weekly Bridgeport chat Tuesday at 1:30 p.m.
- Because you need more Butch Goring off the cuff: His XM Home Ice interview [mp3 audio]. (Seriously, good thoughts there.)
- The Islanders three prospect stars of the week: Brenden Kichton, Rhett Rakhshani, Matt Donovan.
- On that note, Mark's Sunday prospect roundup.
- And while we're linking down the page, here's my pretty thorough (and debatable, as always) ffirst half Islanders report cardd (Kevin Schultz's review at IPB is here); and here's that Xfinity contest we're running. Win a job, man.
- Some Islanders dynasty content: "The ultimate question is, do some teams really perform better in the playoffs, or are the performances variances instead the result of chance?"
- Prospect Pedan: OHL: Pedan incident might have raised awareness of inappropriate on-ice comments | Buzzing The Net
- Some silliness from North Dakota and Minnesota over the weekend: Bad Blood: Handshake line fight between North Dakota and Minnesota in NCAA (Video) | Puck Daddy and also: Ben Blood disciplined for post-game altercation - UNDSports.com]
- You know it's rough when: Lightning promote Trevor Smith from Norfolk Admirals - Raw Charge
The Hockey n Stuff
- Another in a chilling series on going through concussions. Keep highlighting Dion Phaneuf on nhl.com, guys.
- Mountain, or mole hill? Struggling Kesler gets snippy about coach’s comments | ProHockeyTalk
- Go ahead, rip on the Habs. But get it right.
- On sports media narratives: Rising Action: On narratives | CanucksArmy
- On that note... Drance Numbers: Can Roberto Luongo’s mental toughness be quantified?
- This is real: Career Advice From Brian Burke | MLSE
- And finally, so is this: Your KHL All-Stars