If you missed it, the Islanders are still 14th in the East by points, but they have a new basement neighbor: The Tampa Bay Lightning have fallen all the way to the bottom (though in truth, the other frequent neighbor, the Hurricanes, have played five more games than the Isles while compiling just one more point).
The Nashville Predators are in familiar territory too: On the positive side of the West's playoff bubble while looking up at not two, but three league powers above them in the Central.
The Predators are in this perch thanks to a four-game win streak, including a 4-2 win the other night against the Isles nemesis Flyers. But they're one of those teams who's doing it while being outshot an average of 31.2 to 27.5 per night. For observers of Fenwick, they're near the league's basement (45%) -- Anaheim territory -- in possession with the score close or tied. Cheers to a 21.6% (3rd overall) powerplay and Pekka Rinne, who has a .920 save percentage and .929 at even strength in 40 games. We might see big Anders Lindback today though.
With a game tomorrow in Washington, you have to assume we'll see someone else in net one of these games, though Jack Capuano used Nabby back-to-back during this string. Whether that's Kevin Poulin or Al Montoya (if he comes off IR), we'll soon see.
- Evgeni Nabokov gets downright philosophical with Newsday about the 180 from last year's waiver claim to earning his 300th win with the Islanders.
- We did our mid-season Islanders player report card Sunday evening, and here's Sunday's prospect report.
- Die by the Blade has the scoring chances and a distressed recap from the Islanders victory over the Sabres Saturday.
- Puck Daddy was among the locales perplexed by the penalty shot call on Mark Streit in that game.
- And of course Don Cherry mumbles something unintelligible about the Jack Capuano timeout against the Wings earlier in the week.
- NYI Fantasy Hockey: New York Islanders - Fantasy hockey challenge - New York Islanders
- Your Bridgeport Sound Tigers are on a crazy winning streak. Here are some resources via PDF files: AHL Media Kit | Player Bios | BST Media Guide
- In addition to On The Forecheck, the Nashville Tennessean is a good source of Preds content.
- The now-15th-place Lightning lost yesterday by way of an Evgeni Malkin third-period hat trick. Old friend Jason Blake is back for the Ducks and put up two goals and an assist in their win in Vancouver.
- Pretty nice sendup of Brian Burke twitter answers at Leafs Nation.
- Game previews -- if each NHL team had a wine -- the way only Battle of California can do them.
- Exhausted look at the Oilers rebuild under Steve Tambellini in the Edmonton Journal. And more of that from Copper & Blue. And another from Backhand Shelf.
Leave your First Islanders Goal picks in this thread. If you're stuck at work today, let us know and we'll try to be half-way informative in the in-game thread.